Quick Review, Sony D-NE300 PDCP at Best Buy for $60 -- it's a "10"
Jun 7, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog
It definitely needs an amp for high inpendance cans, it didn't get very loud even with my koss ksc-35's (60 ohms). Forget about it with 300 ohm cans like my Senn HD-850's unless you have hearing like the 6 million dollar man.

It drives my HD-650s just fine. I cannot turn it up all the way or it's way too loud. (Using a CMoy does help the lows and highs extend, though)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog
I agree, the unit is a little loud but it's hard to complain at $50.

Maybe mine is just an exceptionally built one, but I can BARELY hear it spinning. From 18" away I can't hear it at all.
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #62 of 89
The cd spin noise is partially dependent on the quality of the CD. After listening to a few different CD's, I have discovered that certain CD's spin louder than others. I think some of my CD's are not balanced very well.

I think the pcdp can read a CD burned with the normal ISO format. I just isnerted a CD full of MP3's I made 5 years ago and it managed to traverse through all of the directories.

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #63 of 89
I burn mp3 cd's in nero as data files. Is there a better way in nero? Is that why it's making loud noises?

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceep
My 7506's are 63 Ohm and run fine unamped.

I finally tried my AKG K271's driven directly from the headphone jack of the D-NE300, and was pleasantly surprised to find the volume adequate for listening, at least as long as the disk isn't mastered at too low of a level. I do miss the crossfeed on my amp, but I can certainly live without it for a few days. I'm going to Las Vegas on Sunday, and my player and phones will be in my carry-on.

Cheers,

bg

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #66 of 89
Unfortunately, the (US-market) D-NE300 cannot accomodate a remote control at all. There is no such jack in that model - the headphone jack is just a headphone jack. Higher-priced models have a remote connector that's next to the headphone jack.

Jun 16, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #67 of 89
After more than 3 weeks of regular use, my first set of batteries (the 2300mAh NiMH Energizer rechargeables) finally pooped out on me (or more specifically, pooped out enough to need recharging). And I've averaged about 2.5 hours per day of mixed MP3 and Redbook playback. Thus, the battery life claim is indeed accurate.

Jul 2, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #68 of 89
shall I recommend Sony's own MDR-EX71 Fontopia earbuds for this cd player? They fit comfortably and naturally in the ear using thin rubber plugs. I paid 50 dollars for them a few months back, and recently paired them with the d-e300 psyc cd player. using the equalizer, I can get undistorted crystal clear treble, as well as smooth midrange, with no distortion up to almost full volume. In addition, by turning up the lowest frequency bass all the way up, I can get completely undistorted, deep, natural bass for any kinds of music. Smooth jazz sounds great through these headphones and cd combo. Dave matthew's band cd paired up with the cd/headphones makes me feel If I am actually at a concert. i would highly recommend this cd player, and would 100 percent recommend the fontopia headphones. together, they make an excellent combination that will out perform most other players for under 120 dollars. Trust me on this one, as I am a music audiophile.
etysmile.gif

The pairing sounds better then my 350 dollar stereo system...

Jul 2, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
I'm not surprised that the two units sounds very close to one another. After all, they probably use same general circuitry, pickup, amp, etc. Part of cost saving, I'd wager. The fact that the new Aiwas also do Atrac3plus and MP3s along with redbook more or less nails it (same everything).

It is a great value for $60, Redbook or otherwise.

I have sony d-303 and aiwa xp7 ( two vintages ) and they sound quite identical , being the d303 a bit more dark and the xp7 a bit more detailed
It was a very nice thing to discover when i got the aiwa player from ebay @20$

I choose quite regularly d303 - but on some music i prefer the slightly more detailed aiwa xp7 .

BTW How does the line out of this new sony bargain perform ?

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #72 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by offwater
"Europeans again have to suffer with 1.5mw output..."

Why do you think is that?

As quite a few people have said numerous times, the French-drafted regulation for the EU (European Union) mandates that no portable player shall produce a maximum SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of greater than 100 dBA with the supplied stock earbuds. The 1.5mW maximum output of a European-spec D-NE300 falls in line with that regulation.

Jul 12, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #73 of 89
Is the sound REALLY that much better than the imp-350? Anyone else who owns both have an opinion? Currently, Ive got a maxed out Cmoy valcro'd to the top of the imp lid, and with my px200's I think I've got decent rig going. I'd pop for one of the other new sony's, but I really like the use of a remote. (imp350 with amp in backpack with remote mounted on left shoulder strap) So if the new sony lineup can NOTICEABLY beat the imp in terms of flat out sonic excellence for a portable..then...i'll make the switch--but id have to go for the NE900 so I can still mount the amp on top for easy carrying!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #75 of 89
I have a problem with my dne300. It cant read rewritable cds. I have burnt a mp3 compilation with nero on a blank CD-RW and it doesnt play on the player. I have tried to burn the same compilation on a blank CD-R and the player reads it. Do you think I should return it for another one???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back