Quick questions for Sleek SA6 owners
Aug 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Zafonic

Head-Fier
I've been reading up on the Sleeks and they have been getting great reviews by most people. I just have three questions:

1) Their impedence is 50 ohms - is this low enough to be driven by an iPod or would I need an amp? My other IEM is 16 ohms.

2) I've read that there are no markings on the headphones to indicate which ear piece is LEFT and which is RIGHT???? Is this true and what do you guys do to tell the difference?

3) Would you compare the sound quality of the Sleeks with the Eytymotics ER-4P or Shure SE310/SE420 in terms of clarity and overall performance?

Thanks guys
o2smile.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 26
1) Yes.

2) On some early model, the marking is easily wiped off by finger. I think it has been fixed by now. You can play a familiar tune that has left/right difference, or play it on a PC with one channel disable. I mark my SA6 with red/blue paint myself.

3) Own none, can't help.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 26
I am a fan but here are my answers

1 I find the SA6 works well without an amp but the sound does improve with an amp.

2 The modular approach of the build extends to the drivers. They are identical. i used to put a dab on red nail varnish on the right connector. Now I simply put a loose knot in the right cable.

3 I only have the Shure e4c and e3c to compare with. SA6 is preferred for all times except when riding my motorbike. e4c is more comfortable under my helmet!

Hope that helps.
Sceptre

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 26
1. Works great with my ipod touch. I have the volume at 50% (indoors) or 60% (outdoors) without an amp. Once my Fiio amp arrives in the mail, I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

2. there are no markings on the actual phones, but there are on the end of the cables. If it's dark, it's impossible to discern them (unless you can read braille). However, the chrome finish seems like an ideal place to put a more obvious mark if you need to.

3. dunno, search the site, there are LOTS of comparisons. Many here have claimed they are on par with the SE530's though.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 26
Another SA6 fan.

1. See posts above. I find the SA6s are easy to drive no matter which DAP I use, and I have many.

2. See last post. There are L and R marks on the cable ends, but they are not much good on the go. Self-inflicted marks suggested.

3. I've owned the Ety ER4P (with S cable) and I originally sold them for the Atrios. When the Sleeks arrived, I soon and reluctantly sold the Atrios. Just didn't need them. If course, I have since bought a pair of US Super.Fi 5s. Go figure. Anyway, the Etys are what they are, and the dry, colorless sound sig wasn't for me. At least not at $170 or so. I picked up a pair of im716s as a replacement for $20.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 26
1. They are easily driven by an iPod and the improvement with an amp is too little for me to bother.

2. As stated, it's the cable that matters, not the driver (they're identical) and if you wear them over the ear, the cable itself winds up assuming the form for your ear so it's easy to tell (otherwise try some of the tips in the thread to make it more clear).

3. I'll go you one better: I returned UE triple.fi 10 pros after I got my SA6, they are top end IEMs.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Ditto on all the other posts. Im just posting to further ease your mind. I also have SE530 and while in some ways I like them better and in some ways I like the SA6 better. Notice I say like better and not are better.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 26
Yeah, I think it should work fine with an iPod. I am running mine through a Cowon D2 and the loudest I have ever listened to it, was 50% and that was very loud in my ears.

Yes, there are markings, but they are black on a black cable so you can't see them easily without some light.

Unfortunately, I have not owned any of those others, but I came from Sennheiser Cx300's and the difference is phenominal.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 26
I'll chime in there, too. They work fine with an iPod, but are a touch sensitive (to my ears) with an iPod Classic. There are times that I cannot turn the music down enough for quiet environments.

Very hard to distinguish L/R. A number of people in this thread have mentioned good ways to handle that.

ER-4P have better clarity and detail, but not by much. Sleeks are significantly better in all-around musical presentation, though, unless you're using the Etys with a good amp. The Shure SE310 has a very pretty midrange, but only marginally better than the Sleeks. In terms of high end clarity, there is no comparison. In addition, I found the Shures to be a little bumped up in the midbass and lacking in the deep bass, the Sleeks (and the Etys, for all their recessed bass response) have a flatter and more natural bass response.

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 26
Thank you for all your helpful advice and replies
bigsmile_face.gif

The Sleeks are high up on my list of next IEMs, along with the Etymotics ER-4P, Klipsch Custom 3, Shure SE420 and Westone UM2.

I've read good reviews of the SE420 and Klipsch, although the Custom 3 are supposed to be a bit fiddly to put in the ear.

The only thing I found a bit off-putting was the less than great reviews of the Sleeks on Trusted Reviews - 7/10 for sound quality
frown.gif
(Sleek Audio SA6 Customisable Earphones - TrustedReviews)
and on CNET (Sleek Audio SA6 earphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews.)

Obviously, commercial reviews can be taken with a pinch of salt!

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 26
Both were also done before the bass+ and treble++ modules were available. And who cares what CNET and Trusted Reviews have to say? Just kidding. But CNET has done some really bonehead reviews in my experience. And alling yourself "Trusted Reviews" is a bit presumptuous, no? Finally, there are some other "pro" reviews out there that gave the Sleeks high marks. Check the Sleek site for links.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 26
I'm actually considering a pair of these as well. Between these and the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro.

A lot of good info in this thread. Thanks!

(36 more posts to go)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back