Quick Questions About Schiit Amps
Jul 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of DT990 600ohm headphones with the E7/E9 combo. I've been looking at the Schiit amps for a while, and now with the release of their DAC, I was thinking about getting both from them, but I still don't know whether the Asgard or the Lyr would work better for me. I currently have no plans for upgrading my headphones, but if I ever do, I'd be looking at the LCD-2. 

My questions are, will the Asgard power my DT990's well enough, or should I get the Lyr? Also, would I need to look at the Lyr based on the idea of possibly upgrading to the LCD-2 later on?

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connnorrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My questions are, will the Asgard power my DT990's well enough, or should I get the Lyr? Also, would I need to look at the Lyr based on the idea of possibly upgrading to the LCD-2 later on?

Thanks.

My guess is... the Lyr - since that's one of the phones Schitt references as being well driven by the Lyr.

But... you need to direct that question to them.  They'll answer it candidly, they have no interest in misleading you.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 4
You should get the Lyr since it's better for future upgrades if the margin in prices is not your concern, it can drive almost cans with ease even the HE-6. And with some investment in tube rolling, Lyr is much better in sound wise imho.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
My guess is... the Lyr - since that's one of the phones Schitt references as being well driven by the Lyr.

But... you need to direct that question to them.  They'll answer it candidly, they have no interest in misleading you.

Thanks for the tip! I actually just got a reply from them and I figure I'll put it up in case someone else is curious as to the response.

Connor,

If you were going to stick with the Beyer 600 ohm headphones, we'd definitely have you look at Valhalla--it's an amazing match for those headphones.

But if you're looking at the LCD-2s in the future as well, Lyr is a do-all amp for both the Beyers and orthodynamics. Valhalla is a no-go with orthos. Asgard does a nice job with both 600 ohm Beyers and LCD-2s as well, but Lyr is definitely a step up.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back