Quick question
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

genzeleam

New Head-Fier
If an IEM is designed as an over-the-ear cord style IEM, does that mean that it won't sound right if you were to listen to it with the cord hanging straight down? In other words, with the speakers themselves turned to a different orientation.

I originally returned the GR07 Bass Editions because I found out they were over-the-ear. They keep getting recommended to me and a person in another thread told me you can use them with the cord down.

Any thoughts?

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 6
It will not effect the sound wearing them either way (over the ear or down) they'll sound the same providing you're getting a correct seal. The only problem you'll run into has been mentioned, comfort issues as some IEM are simply not designed to be worn down. To be honest when I first joined I was very hesitant about wearing an IEM over the ear it was completely foreign to me and I didn't want to know about it, feeling embarrassed, comfort, what people would think. Though after you do so, there's honestly no problems, they're just as comfortable and actually emit less cable noise due to the cable canceling at the ear. In a nut shell a large majority of high end IEM's are designed to be worn this way, so being blunt without meaning any offence the morale of this story is 'get used to it' 

Here's a picture of GR07 being worn down, it works however, not the most confident. the best advice I can give you is don't be affraid to wear an IEM over the ear, it's really no different in looks and who cares  if anyone says anything?

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 6
I like to poke 'em in real deep too. My ear canal heads upwards, so if I wear them the 'normal' way, the cable sits funny and pulls them out. 

Over the ear, they snug up in there like a tick on dog. Tight.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 6
  It will not effect the sound wearing them either way (over the ear or down) they'll sound the same providing you're getting a correct seal. The only problem you'll run into has been mentioned, comfort issues as some IEM are simply not designed to be worn down. To be honest when I first joined I was very hesitant about wearing an IEM over the ear it was completely foreign to me and I didn't want to know about it, feeling embarrassed, comfort, what people would think. Though after you do so, there's honestly no problems, they're just as comfortable and actually emit less cable noise due to the cable canceling at the ear. In a nut shell a large majority of high end IEM's are designed to be worn this way, so being blunt without meaning any offence the morale of this story is 'get used to it' 

Here's a picture of GR07 being worn down, it works however, not the most confident. the best advice I can give you is don't be affraid to wear an IEM over the ear, it's really no different in looks and who cares  if anyone says anything?

Very informative, thanks for the pictures. I just got mine a couple of days ago and, especially with the Comply foam tips, they work perfectly cable down. I've just gotten used to that way over the last few months. Might end up changing it up, who knows! They're for desktop use so people seeing me isn't an issue (it wouldn't be anyway).

Thanks again, fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back