Quick question: how do you connect bare speaker wire to a binding post?
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
So I notice that as I unscrew the binding post, there's a hole in the back of the main shaft part. Do I just stick the wires in there and screw it closed? EDIT: This site seems to confirm that's the way to go, but I just want to make sure.

Also, I heard bare wire isn't the best thing to do, connection-wise. Should I wait a day and see if RadioShack (or The Shack, whatever it's called now) has banana plugs for 16 gauge wires? I don't know how to install them onto base wires though...

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, just unscrew to expose hole, push wire in hole, screw until tight.

Most of available plugs are going to give a worse electrical connection than bare wire. I'd just skip them.

Thanks marvin! One more thing: it doesn't matter if there's some loose wire hanging out the other end, right? It's touching the metal jumper that is around the other binding posts above it.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds fine. Just make sure the exposed wire isn't long enough to touch the opposite polarity binding post.

Okie doke, they seem okay then. Thanks again for the quick help!

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm from the camp that bare speaker wire is the best. As long as you twist them properly and leave no strands hanging outside and get the whole thing fit in the binding post and screw it tightly its the best connection IMHO. Banana plugs are very convenient, but I have an affinity towards bare speaker wire.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm from the camp that bare speaker wire is the best. As long as you twist them properly and leave no strands hanging outside and get the whole thing fit in the binding post and screw it tightly its the best connection IMHO. Banana plugs are very convenient, but I have an affinity towards bare speaker wire.

Agreed.

IMO, banana plugs should only be used in cases when the sake of convenience necessitates their use. Otherwise, a banana plug - no matter what it's "plated" with - is just one more thing to get in the way of the signal path.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 10
I assist students in an electronics laboratory perform experiments on diodes and transistors. We use connecting wires to make connections to standard power supplies, decade resistance boxes, circuit assemblies on breadboards and so on and the diameter of the wires are about the diameter of leads of 1/4 watt carbon composition resistors. I noted on several occasions that after the bare portion of the wire is inserted into the hole of the binding post of an instrument and when the cap is tightened the cap presses against the insulation, the wire is not in contact with the walls in the hole and there is no contact. I therefore, encourage students to instead, form an arc of the bare wire, hook it around the terminal screw threads, tighten the cap and pull it gently to check whether the connection is tight. Of course, they must ensure that the cap is not pressing the insulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back