Quick Question: can the B22 drive BOTH speakers and headphones at the same time?
Aug 10, 2010 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shawn_low

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Will any of the B22 configurations drive both speakers and headphones at the same time?

Or will doing that destroy the amp?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Most of the speaker based configs should be able 2 drive headphones and speakers at the same time provided they can drive the combined load. Thats the wrong question though.

The right question is whether the speakers will be loud enough or the headphones will get blown up. Experimentation holds the answer to that question. I guess another relevant question following that line of thought is whether the headphones running while the speakers are running will interfere with the sound of the speakers (most headphones can be run loud enough to be heard anywhere in a loud room.... 3 people had my HD800 audible over pleasant lunch conversation at canjam 30 feet away and I have heard them over ~70db room noise at an NYC meet about 12 feet away.) The alternate question is also relevant: Will running the speakers while running your headphones interfere with your headphones?

Whats the point in building an amp that (I assume) you have high aspirations of quality for if you are going to immediately place yourself in such a compromised position?

None of this really matters if you just switch the outputs like you know you should.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the input Nikongod.

Just asking because...gulp...I plugged in a bare banana plug into the back of my B22 while the headphones were playing.

There was a crackle.

Music still played.

Later, I smelt something burning. Then when I played music via RCA input, there was no sound through headphones (Haven't tried speaker outputs yet).

The Sigma 22 board still works and powers up the amp. I just have no sound through the headphones.

Did I short something by plugging in the banana plug while the headphones were going?

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 7
If your getting music through your speakers it’s likely the phones are damaged, if the speakers and phones don’t work you may have blown the output stage of your amp.

Do any of these circled resistors look bad/burnt? These are the likely culprits visually if the output stage of the amp is damaged. It’s not foolproof as a bad resistor may still look fine, but as you smelt burning have a look and see.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, it sure can.
If my mind do not play me tricks I hooked mine up to a pair of speakers and a K1000 at the same time, and they all put out music. Was really careful with the volume control though, careful not to overload anything.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm, I'll have a closer look tonight.

The phones are working fine. I haven't tried speaker outputs.

But I think output stage might be blown since each time I power it up, there's a sort of burning smell.

Gah!

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Hmm, I'll have a closer look tonight.

The phones are working fine. I haven't tried speaker outputs.

But I think output stage might be blown since each time I power it up, there's a sort of burning smell.

Gah!

If your phones are working fine your output stage may be fine, I’d have a close look and see if anything looks unusual. Make sure there no loose wires, especially from the psu to the amp boards, check if any capacitors look swollen or resistors are burnt.

I would not turn the amp back on until you can isolate where the problem is and get the amp serviced.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back