Quick question about the USPS...
Mar 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought an LP from the Netherlands. What's the "procedure" when receiving international packages? I have no clue whatsoever as this is my first time.

The only bit of advice the online store gave me was...

Quote:
Your package is shipped and the delivery time takes about 1 to 2 weeks depending on your location, if you don't get it within this time frame please check your local post office.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Any international shipment I have received required picking up from the Post Office if you missed the initial delivery. Only once I was required to pay duty when the package was shipped UPS. Apparently UPS uses a custom clearing service and they wanted a piece of the action.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 8
It might come down to the size and/or cost of the product as well. Most of the time when I order international, they just put it in the mailbox, but now that you mention it, Balderon, I did have to pick up a potentiometer that I ordered from Germany from the PO.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 8
I have never had to pay a customs fee on any of my international packages.  Most retailers will mark the item as a gift even if it isn't (at least the HK stores do anyways)
Anyways, in most cases the package will just arrive at your house like any other package.  The only reason you will need to pick up the package from the post office is if you aren't home for the delivery and it requires a signature.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 8
It depends on the price and category of the item.

I haven't had to pay customs on music yet.

However, I got a bill for a watch from Switzerland and a pair of Sowter output transformers from the UK.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 8
The single instance I was required to pay duty was when I purchased a pair of very expensive capacitors from a Canadian company. The package was shipped via UPS declared as full value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back