Quick question about Mosfet
Sep 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
Simple answer like "yes" or "no" would be fine, further info/explantion would be appreciated.

Do you think same kind of mosfets from different manufacturers sound differently?

For example, suppose you're trying to make Zen headamp. All parts are in, and you somehow have several IRF610s from various manufacturers, from Fairchild, International Rectifiers, ST Micro... etc. Specwise, they all are identical. But do they sound identical too?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't know for sure, and it may depend upon the specific device, but I would guess that they could quite well sound different. From my time in the semiconductor industry, all companies have their own processes, etc. For designs that are done by multiple sources, even though they technically meet the specs, they probably are entirely different on a substrate level. I was just a probe floor tech (where the wafers are tested), so I don't know all the details on a device physics or process standpoint though.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 5
The answer is not a simple "yes" or "no", more like "it depends".

In a simple, single-device amp like the Szekeres, the MOSFET transfer characteristics would affect the sonic signature and the measured performance in dramatic fashion. In more complex topologies (such as β22 where the amplification devices' transfer characteristics are highly "linearized" by surrounding circuitry) this would not necessary be true.

Whether devices bearing the same part number from different manufacturers exhibit significant differences is an interesting subject, and I haven't researched it very much. One would think that in order to be a suitable "second source" part with the same part number, the devices should be very much alike, but this has proven to be false in some circumstances (in general, not specific to MOSFETs).

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
One would think that in order to be a suitable "second source" part with the same part number, the devices should be very much alike, but this has proven to be false in some circumstances (in general, not specific to MOSFETs).

You mean like LM317s?
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like LM317s?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, and NE5532/NE5534 opamps, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back