Quick PPA v2 Question!
Feb 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 24
Or mabie both?
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 24
sdgserv,

How does it sound?
Yes, I am trying to use it as a dual purpose amp. How well do you think it would drive standard extirior computer speakers? Just the small desktop ones.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 24
per the PA2V2 website:

Most portable devices have an output power under 20 mW (milliwatts). This often isn't enough to enable a decent pair of headphones to reach their full potential. The PA2V2 has an output power of up to 200 mW RMS and makes the music louder by a factor of 610%. The amp can power speakers too, not only headphones. For a small device it can output a lot of power. The frequency response goes from 5Hz to well beyond 40KHz. Critical components are joined with thick, point to point traces for maximum conductivity. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is 100 dB. Actually, with the volume turned on maximum, and no music playing, there is no static sound or hiss, which is something desirable. Building an extremely quiet, low distortion amplifier was a high priority. An improved power supply filter circuit almost eliminates the 50/60 Hz humming sounds some owners reported when listening with the AC adapter plugged in.

You can find more info here:

More Information About The Portable Headphone Amplifier

regards,

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 24
he's talking about the PPA v2, not to be confused with the PA2V2.

PPA V2 is an entirely different thing.

Also OP, why did you find the PPA V2 superior to the M^3 when they both clearly have their pros and cons. The PPA V2 won't handle high currents without a heatsink. Is it based on the number of components you see on the board? Or did you really make a decision based on the technical aspect?

Not to forget, M^3 also has a superior regulation for the OPAMPs.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 78897889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sdgserv,

How does it sound?
Yes, I am trying to use it as a dual purpose amp. How well do you think it would drive standard extirior computer speakers? Just the small desktop ones.

Mine sounds great..I just don't think this amp will do what you want..I don't even know how you would hook speakers up to it.

and don't discount the M^3 It can do anything the PPA can

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he's talking about the PPA v2, not to be confused with the PA2V2.

PPA V2 is an entirely different thing.

Also OP, why did you find the PPA V2 superior to the M^3 when they both clearly have their pros and cons. The PPA V2 won't handle high currents without a heatsink. Is it based on the number of components you see on the board? Or did you really make a decision based on the technical aspect?

Not to forget, M^3 also has a superior regulation for the OPAMPs.

Really? To me it looks like the PPAv2 has better regulation for the opamps
wink.gif

It still really isn't meant to drive speakers, the diamond buffers on them cannot put out much power in speaker terms. They'll definitely drive any headphone, but they're more finesse than brute force MOSFETs of the M^3 (I've build 2 PPAv2 and 1 PPAv1 with Glassman buffesr and now building my first M^3).

I haven't had any difficulty cranking a PPAv2 into Class A of 30mA without heatsinks and driving Grados all day to their heart's content. Maybe with something like an AKG K701 which is a monster of inefficiency, it'll fall into Class-AB, but I don't think so (not that I know much anyway
tongue.gif
)

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 78897889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input! One last question though, will the PPAv2 board be compatible with the NiMH rechargable battery board? Ive allready ordered the parts =/

Define "compatible", they're the same size and depending on height of components of the amp board, can fit into the same case.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Well, the website said:

"The PPA NiMH battery board is designed to work in concert with the PPA v1 Amplifier Board. It charges the cells while the wall power supply is plugged in, and it powers the amp when the wall supply is removed."

So I was wondering if it would work with v2, I did some research though after I asked, it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back