Quick Power Cable Question
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GMF2010

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered two Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords (one for my PPA v2 + STEPS and one for my source). Both components are currently plugged into an APC Surge Protector (nothing fancy, just a 50 ish dollar surge). Question is, is it self-defeating to plug these aftermarket power cables into the surge, or should I just plug them into the wall?

Thanks,

Greg

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMF2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered two Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords (one for my PPA v2 + STEPS and one for my source). Both components are currently plugged into an APC Surge Protector (nothing fancy, just a 50 ish dollar surge). Question is, is it self-defeating to plug these aftermarket power cables into the surge, or should I just plug them into the wall?

Thanks,

Greg

I've got a Brickwall Surge Protector, which also performs some RFI/EMI filtering on the power, from which I run power cords to my source and amp units. I find that I prefer the sound that I get with my audio units powered through the Surge Protector than with them plugged directly into the wall.
I'm happy with that finding - since it means that I don't have to decide between sound quality and protecting my audio units from power surges. I get both. I've read posts from other Head-Fiers who have heard their audio gear sound less good to them when plugged into a surge protector.

Since you're asking, I take it that you have enough wall plugs available to plug your amp and source into the wall. Why not try it both ways and see which you prefer?

I, for one, rest easier knowing that my audio units are on the other side of a surge protector, as well as enjoying the sound quality benefits of the surge protector's interference filtering.

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your input. I do intend to try it both ways, but I was just curious to see what some more experienced head-fiers have experienced. All the wiring in my house is pretty old, not sure if that's a good thing or not (over 30 years old).

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 8
It all depends on your power and your gear. Try both. I'd still use the surge protector for most situations tho, unless it's a major difference, because fried gear makes elmo cry.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Lets see, fried gear or a bit quality lost. At the cost of some of the gear I can live w/ a bit of quality loss.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 8
The wiring in My House is also very old (40 years), and do not trust it. That's why I run a 40 Ft. JPS Labs Power AC+ dedicated line to a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Definitely helps one sleep soundly (no pun intended) at night, rest assured that my rig is safe.
Aoha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 8
most surge protectors have a negative impact on sound quality, for me if I don't have a high quality surge protector availible that does not effect the sound in a negative way I would plug it straight to the wall. I use PS Audio Duet for my audio gear, and a UPC 200 for my home theatre, worth every penny, excellent protection and no negative effects on sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back