Quick poll, is my Avatar annoying?
Jul 11, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 35
I personally find any sort of flashing in avatars to be insanely annoying. Which I assume is why some people use flashing avatars.
biggrin.gif

For instance, GlowWorm's I rather like, but the flashing fro...uh uh.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
I personally find any sort of flashing in avatars to be insanely annoying.

I want to combine my online experience with induced Pokemon seizures so I can post in a less calculated way. I've a helmet and made a seatbelt already.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Because avatars are superfluous for some? Words are enough. A nice distinction IMHO. And Bill is also lacking one of those excessively confessional, annoyingly lengthy signatures describing which bubble gum is chewed when adjusting the isolation devices of his cables.

I guess, but being an artist I relate better to images than to words. I agree that those long sigs are infinitely more annoying than any av, they just get in the way of reading the other posts. If I want to know what kind of rig someone has I'll just check their profile.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 35
Mr. Mocok, I don't think your new avatar is bad, I just really liked your old one!
biggrin.gif

Personally, I like the animated avatars but really I just think the bright, flashing ones are not needed. They remind me too much of this!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
Jeez, just looking at that makes my stomach hurt...

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
I guess, but being an artist I relate better to images than to words.

A love of photography has me always enjoy a good still image. That is a distinct art and one that was thought to be endangered at one time in some circles.
But I have liked some animated avatars also, if well done. Someone here had a manic jumping B&W photographed puppet thing once that I liked a lot. Redshifter's dancing girl of the past always made me smile.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 35
It's hard on the eyes... here you go, this was the best I could do since 15kb is the limit:

It's real grainy, so I won't be offended if you don't use it, I was bored
biggrin.gif

mocokk123.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
I guess, but being an artist I relate better to images than to words. I agree that those long sigs are infinitely more annoying than any av, they just get in the way of reading the other posts. If I want to know what kind of rig someone has I'll just check their profile.

Couldn't agree more.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 35
Well, okay, due to popular demand, it will be back to my old one again then.
Although some like it, but the thought of there are a few people (or lots!) annoyed by it kinda bothers me.

I'm not at home at the momet, I will change it as soon as I logged on at home.

Thanks for the input !

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #26 of 35
Yes, I already changed back to my old one...

But...

There is a little hidden secret about my avatar now.... I won't tell... muahahahah....
evil_smiley.gif

PS: After I changed back to my normal avater, and the last time I checked after I changed it back, 44 voted Yes, it's annoying, and 18 for No.
If there are more "Yes" after I changed back to normal, that means some people just hate me...
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #27 of 35
Personally, I think that it was a very nice gesture of you to ask. Some people put incredibly annoying animated .gifs in their sigs and such and it can be quite annoying. I even voted "no" because I felt it was just fine - but curtious of you, nonetheless.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #28 of 35
I think that multicolored gif is great! A little refinement, and that thing would be a keeper, especially if you can set a smooth framerate. In that other gif thread, I just posted a gif with a very smooth rate, to me it doesn't look annyoing at all with the way its animated, if anything it's just geek shic.
Personally though, a regular afro avatar with transitioning hair(like a fishbowl effect) would be awesome.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I think that multicolored gif is great! A little refinement, and that thing would be a keeper, especially if you can set a smooth framerate. In that other gif thread, I just posted a gif with a very smooth rate, to me it doesn't look annyoing at all with the way its animated, if anything it's just geek shic.
Personally though, a regular afro avatar with transitioning hair(like a fishbowl effect) would be awesome.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Look at my avatar and observe it for awhile without getting distracted.
You will find the answer you have been looking for.
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Look at my avatar and observe it for awhile without getting distracted.
You will find the answer you have been looking for.
icon10.gif

Wow. I just saw it. Awesome, dude. Rock it for what it's worth!
5000smile.gif
Abe
edit: I might have to copycat the effect, I like it so much
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back