Quick Impressions: Shuffle 1G and 2G
May 1, 2007 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

brokenwallet

100+ Head-Fier
OK, i have both ipod shuffles on hand. What i've learned, it's completely about synergy, and not so much about product A being better than product B.

Here's my initial take on them (no amps):

1G Shuffle, sounds great with iM716. HD201 surprisingly sounds really good, the best portable i have tested the 201 with so far. It edges out the generic chinese SD card player i have when powering the HD201 (the generic have strong output, but no refinement). The KSC35 also sounded good from 1G, but ...

Much better on the 2G shuffle! More dynamic, better synergy (for my tastes). And on the flip side, the iM716 is slightly dry-er/brighter on the 2G. The 201 is about the same story, better midbass from the 1G.

The EP-630, well, i'm just now realizing that i happen to luck out with the Rio Forge (and CMI 8738 soundcards). Because on both Shuffles, M-audio Transit, and Conexant HD, it's picking up hiss. But i get complete silence out of the Forge (and CMI 8738). I guess it depends on the source's output strength and sensitivity of the phones.

This was an eye opener, the Forge have a refined (some treble roll-off) sound that i really enjoy, but not enough power to make iM716 and HD201 'sing'. These Shuffles has enough.

Dang it, i thought i had it right with the Forge + ep-630. Now i don't know what to keep and what to give away.
confused.gif

May 1, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 32
I noticed the same thing about the 1G shuffle versus the 2G shuffle with my KSC-75's. Everyone keeps saying "oh, the 1G is soooo much better than the 2G", so I tried them against each other and the 2G sounded more dynamic, crisp, & had better synergy with the KSC-75's.

May 1, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 32
Yep, all true. I noticed that the 2g has a hiss, but it is very unnoticeable. I actually have to try to listen for it.

May 3, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenwallet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, i have both ipod shuffles on hand. What i've learned, it's completely about synergy, and not so much about product A being better than product B.

Here's my initial take on them (no amps):

1G Shuffle, sounds great with iM716....

X2! my 1g shuffle/iM716 combo not only sounds good unamped, its good LOUD! how good u say? well...even though i have access to both a GV6 and a Tomahawk, IMO the 1g shuffle/iM716 combo sounds better as a couple.

FWIW, my iM716 is depodded and replaced with 33ohm inline resistors.

May 3, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 32
How audible is the "hiss" on the 2G with a pair of 60 ohm PortaPros or KSC-75s? I'm really happy with my 1G/PP combination, but the clip on the 2G would be great for running...

May 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2! my 1g shuffle/iM716 combo not only sounds good unamped, its good LOUD! how good u say? well...even though i have access to both a GV6 and a Tomahawk, IMO the 1g shuffle/iM716 combo sounds better as a couple.

FWIW, my iM716 is depodded and replaced with 33ohm inline resistors.

promising indeed.... all the more reasons to do a podectomy.....
etysmile.gif

May 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerosushi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How audible is the "hiss" on the 2G with a pair of 60 ohm PortaPros or KSC-75s? I'm really happy with my 1G/PP combination, but the clip on the 2G would be great for running...

You'd really have to listen for it, and if you're using it on the go, you probably won't notice the hiss at all.

Sportas (same driver as Portas) & KSC-75's both sound great w/ the 2G Shuffle.

May 3, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd really have to listen for it, and if you're using it on the go, you probably won't notice the hiss at all.

Sportas (same driver as Portas) & KSC-75's both sound great w/ the 2G Shuffle.

Yep!

May 5, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 32
For me the G1's SQ wins and the volume goes much higher. Am I the only one who notices how much higher the volume goes on the G1 vs. the G2? I'll never get rid of my G1 but I love the tiny size of the G2 and the clip is nice and I've never noticed any hiss. I usually use both with Sporta Pros and P100s.

May 5, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the G1's SQ wins and the volume goes much higher. Am I the only one who notices how much higher the volume goes on the G1 vs. the G2? I'll never get rid of my G1 but I love the tiny size of the G2 and the clip is nice and I've never noticed any hiss. I usually use both with Sporta Pros and P100s.

uh wow. how loud do you really need your music? i get pain if i turn my 2G up too high. maybe you should get your hearing checked?

May 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 32
he also might have demanding headphones, ones other than the 2 he listed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back