Quick Impressions: Shuffle 1G and 2G
May 5, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 32
With the koss clips i don't really notice the hiss on the 2g shuffle. But it's true the 1g will have a lower noise floor than the 2g with the same phones.

The bass seems to have a bit more body on the 1g (sounds more whole, slightly more in quantity and better extension). But the 2g overall sounds much crisper, strikes a good balance with ksc35. In comparison the 1g with ksc35 sounds a bit bland with overemphasized bass, although this might be better when paired with ksc75 (haven't compared them directly, 75s are being borrowed).

I also like the size of 2g, very small. I just wish i can find an iem that sounds close/better than the 35s for the 2g.

May 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 32
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the 2 GB shuffle an older, no longer available model/generation? All I can find at the Apple store is the 1 GB.
redface.gif

Holly

May 8, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the 2 GB shuffle an older, no longer available model/generation? All I can find at the Apple store is the 1 GB.
redface.gif

Holly

Ah, they are saying 1G and 2G as in 1st Generation (long white stick) and 2nd Generation (tiny metal rectangle). 1G as in One Gigabyte is indeed a 2nd Gen Shuffle thing, and nice for storage (and the biggest storage for Shuffles so far).

May 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, they are saying 1G and 2G as in 1st Generation (long white stick) and 2nd Generation (tiny metal rectangle). 1G as in One Gigabyte is indeed a 2nd Gen Shuffle thing, and nice for storage (and the biggest storage for Shuffles so far).

Oh, jeez...
redface.gif
redface.gif
Now I'm really feeling ignorant.
biggrin.gif
Thanks Jahn - guess I should have known that "g/G" is not the same as "Gb." I should have read the thread a bit more carefully.

Holly

May 8, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..."g/G" is not the same as "Gb."

Not only that, but Gb (gigabit) is not the same as GB (gigabyte).
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentachris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only that, but Gb (gigabit) is not the same as GB (gigabyte).
smily_headphones1.gif

And GB (gigabyte) is also not the same as a GiB (gibibyte)!
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 32
Hmm, that being said, i think the mylar3 will give lots of hisses on shuffle gen 2. But does anyone know how it sounds on gen 1? Still comparing the nano and shuffle. Its such a difficult choice.

May 9, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that being said, i think the mylar3 will give lots of hisses on shuffle gen 2. But does anyone know how it sounds on gen 1? Still comparing the nano and shuffle. Its such a difficult choice.

FWIW i can discern no hiss worthy of mention when pairing my M3 with a 1gen shuffle. sounds sweet to me using AAC256. loadsa bass (with correct fitting tips) smooth slightly forward mids with surprizing amounts of high end details. overall, a very balanced smooth silky but yet fairly detailed sound thats forgiving of most materials. IMO get a 1gb 1gen shuffle if u can still find one. its the best DAP that apple made.

May 9, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW i can discern no hiss worthy of mention when pairing my M3 with a 1gen shuffle. sounds sweet to me using AAC256. loadsa bass (with correct fitting tips) smooth slightly forward mids with surprizing amounts of high end details. overall, a very balanced smooth silky but yet fairly detailed sound thats forgiving of most materials. IMO get a 1gb 1gen shuffle if u can still find one. its the best DAP that apple made.

Hmm thx scottiebabie. If that is the case, i will get a refurbished shuffle and amp it. But it is still confusing whether the nano will sound better after amping it through line-out or the shuffle with amp still beats it hands down. Oh yea and i heard nano can be rockboxed.

May 9, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 32
That is true on both counts. Amped through a lineout, the nano would handily beat even the 1st generation shuffle, and it can be rockboxed.

May 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is true on both counts. Amped through a lineout, the nano would handily beat even the 1st generation shuffle, and it can be rockboxed.

All that effort to improve on something the size of a stick of gum.

May 10, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, tat is a first. Many people just drown me by telling me shuffle will beat nano no matter what. This thing could go on forever and i will nvr get any DAPs as a result...

May 11, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, tat is a first. Many people just drown me by telling me shuffle will beat nano no matter what. This thing could go on forever and i will nvr get any DAPs as a result...

LOL. If SQ is really that important, then we already know you'll eventually end up with an iMod anyway. Unless you need the nano for the nike+ function, then might as well have a unamped shuffle for running/exercising/on the go. Even with players that have screens, i end up keeping them in my pocket most of the time.

May 12, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenwallet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. If SQ is really that important, then we already know you'll eventually end up with an iMod anyway. Unless you need the nano for the nike+ function, then might as well have a unamped shuffle for running/exercising/on the go. Even with players that have screens, i end up keeping them in my pocket most of the time.

Haha, seriously i thought of getting a iMod but i don't see why i should get a HDD player, i just want a simple flash player with good SQ. But thanks for the info anyway. Seems like i have settled for meizu m6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back