Quick Comparison - HF-1 vs HD 595
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I now have in my possession two "mid-fi" open headphones in two of the favorite flavors in the Head-Fi community - Grado and Sennheiser. For the last couple of years my "high end" headphone was a Beyerdynamic DT 931. There are a lot of things I like about the DT 931, such as its clarity, detail and speed, (it's also quite comfortable) but it leaves something to be desired as it does not reproduce the highest frequencies well; they sound a bit harsh and exagerrated. It also seems to lack a bit of bass, and while I'm not a basshead, it is conspicuous by its absence.

As luck would have it, I am now in possession of two mid priced open cans - the HF-1 and HD 595. At one point I thought I could be happy with one decent set of headphones, but now that I've had both of these for a few weeks, I'm not sure how I could get rid of either one. The HF-1 and HD 595 provide the perfect counterbalance to each other.

The HF-1 provides a lot of the upfront detail that I want and is nowhere near what I would consider harsh. It is a great can for semi-critical listening. (I only say semi-critical out of respect for some of the truly world class headphones that are out there.) Vocals, especially female vocals, are sweet, clear, detailed and upfront. The entire frequency spectrum seems to be very well presented without an overemphasis on anything. The soundstage is small but instruments seem to have a lot of air between them. These cans are in your face, but not enough to get spittle on you and be annoying. You're with the band but you don't have to carry the equipment. The biggest drawback to these is they are not that comfortable. I don't really know what it is becaue when I first put them on they seem comfortable enough, but after about a half hour I need to take them off. Maybe as the bowls wear in they will get more comfortable (haven't tried washing them yet). .

By contrast, the HD 595 is much more laid back. There is a wider soundstage but instrument separation is not as clear. Vocals sound like a microphone cover was put on the mic. Emphasis seems to be on the low end with much more bass. Highs are there but seem to be a bit in the background. I wouldn't say it is veiled as some have referred to the Sennheiser sound, I would say it's smooth (but not dark
tongue.gif
). They are also a very comfortable headphone.

Maybe it's because of the comfort of the headphone itself, but the Sennheiser has what I would call a comfortable sound. You just put them on and you feel like you are being covered in the music. Wrapped in a soft musical duvet. They are perfect for listening while working on the computer for fairly long stretches. They are so comfortable that I sometimes leave them on for quite a while even after the music stops playing.

If the HD 595 are good for a relaxing listen, the HF-1 provide the perfect opportunity to get more of the detail out of the music. Because these headphones are so different in their sound signature, and I enjoy listening to them both, I think I will be holding onto these for a while.

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 22
erikzen, good comparison and well said.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found the same things as you mentioned between the HD580 and HF-1.

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 22
Nice little review.

My K240s is my "anti- HF1".... what I grab when I want to relax and soak in the lush, warm, spatious tones. A rediculous bargain for $80. When you factor in that they don't need much more than a portable pimeta or well designed cmoy, Its win-win duo and the 2 together cover a lot of ground.

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 22
Nice mini review, Erik! I'm pretty much in agreement with you and it goes right to the basic difference between the Grado and Senn lineups from top to bottom. You could make similar comparisons between the RS-1 and HD650 and conclude that you like both, a lot, for different music and moods.

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks yo, you gave me a good idea how the 595s sound in comparison. I'll probably wait until I can afford the 600/650s before I try a senn.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I find bowls on my grados comfy. Sorry, no more pad discussions needed....

No I'm not a cauliflower eared wrestler

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 22
Is your HD595 burned in for > 300 hours? I ask because I seem to be unable to justify your account of its midrange and bass. If it is, then I'd better never put an HF-1 on my head anyway, 'cause I like a minimum of bass and fullness in my music.
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Is your HD595 burned in for > 300 hours? I ask because I seem to be unable to justify your account of its midrange and bass. If it is, then I'd better never put an HF-1 on my head anyway, 'cause I like a minimum of bass and fullness in my music.
blink.gif

but you must consider that changing the pads, you change the sound balance too. with bowls you get very little bass, while with flats or modded 414s/comfies you gain the missing low frequencies.

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 22
good comparison - that's how I'd describe the Sennheiser sound as well. the lows are really present and all the highs are there, but is very effortless. the mids are the same way in my opinion; it's not lacking, but also doesn't have a big impact.

I found the Grado sound to be a bit piercing to my ears, so I have always enjoyed the Senns.

Oct 24, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 22
I'm glad a few of you found my comments interesting. I guess I wasn't saying anything earth shattering but it seems to me that a lot of people are either in the Sennheiser or Grado camps. This is the first time I've had two decent, similarly priced cans of each brand at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roblin
I find bowls on my grados comfy. Sorry, no more pad discussions needed....

Except to say that I'm considering C-pads or possibly a woodifying of the HF-1. I like the cans a lot but they need to be more comfortable if I'm to listen longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea

I'm not quite sure how many hours the HD 595 have on them at this point. I bought them used fro LTUCCI1924 (the smoke smell is finally gone
icon10.gif
) and I know he used them constantly while they were still his favorites. I've probably listened for about 100 hours. My guess is that they're as broken in as they're ever going to get.

I did not mean to imply that the HF-1 did not have any bass or fullness. I would say it has more than a minimum, but there is very little bloom on the bass and the overall tonal character is a bright, open sound.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 22
Congratulations on forming your own opinion. Trust your ears and no one elses. Listen to what makes you happy. And welcome to team "I feel like (insert new favorite every day) today."

We need to make some Head-Fi fridge magnets with that "Today I feel..." square but replace all of the moods with Grados, Sennheiser, AKG, ATH, Sony, Etymotic, Shure, etc.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I'm glad a few of you found my comments interesting. I guess I wasn't saying anything earth shattering but it seems to me that a lot of people are either in the Sennheiser or Grado camps. This is the first time I've had two decent, similarly priced cans of each brand at the same time.

Except to say that I'm considering C-pads or possibly a woodifying of the HF-1. I like the cans a lot but they need to be more comfortable if I'm to listen longer.

I'm not quite sure how many hours the HD 595 have on them at this point. I bought them used fro LTUCCI1924 (the smoke smell is finally gone
icon10.gif
) and I know he used them constantly while they were still his favorites. I've probably listened for about 100 hours. My guess is that they're as broken in as they're ever going to get.

I did not mean to imply that the HF-1 did not have any bass or fullness. I would say it has more than a minimum, but there is very little bloom on the bass and the overall tonal character is a bright, open sound.

One day i must try lou's koss ur40 headphone and see why he prefer the koss to most headphones he own

Users who are viewing this thread

Back