[Quick Comparison] Etymotic HF5 > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 31
Hi wendell c

I haven't heard the HJE900 but from what you have written about having to EQ the mids and fast hitting bass, I would say you would greatly enjoy the HF5s. They have very good speed on them. The mids are crystal clear, neither forward nor recessed, and the bass is very fast, accurate, and detailed. If you want more bass quantities though, you might want to look into a dynamic IEM. 

Quote:
kmhaynes,

How do the Panasonic hje900 compare to the HF5?

I am currently enjoying the panasonics now,  loving the fast hitting bass on it and I've eq'd the mids a bit since it sounds a lil' recessed but other than that I am very happy.  They sound good with all the music genre I put through them.

If the HF5 is an upgrade in the right direction maybe I will give them  a try. Other recommendations that I have gotten are the Radius DDM and Monster Miles Davis which obviously are more pricier than the HF5.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 31
The Panasonic is a dynamic.....

I pretty much agree on the rest quantity wise you get just the right amount not to much not to less to make you feel like where is the drums??? Completely the opposite funny thing is bass wise I still find myself wanting a touch more, there's EQ for that. 
rolleyes.gif
 On the speed thing Pana excels. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 31

[size=medium]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kmhaynes,

How do the Panasonic hje900 compare to the HF5?

I am currently enjoying the panasonics now,  loving the fast hitting bass on it and I've eq'd the mids a bit since it sounds a lil' recessed but other than that I am very happy.  They sound good with all the music genre I put through them.

If the HF5 is an upgrade in the right direction maybe I will give them  a try. Other recommendations that I have gotten are the Radius DDM and Monster Miles Davis which obviously are more pricier than the HF5.

Thanks

2 very different sounding phones.  Panasonics are dynamic and can move lots of air, lots of bass impact.  And until they mellow some, the highs are initially pretty strident.  The HJE900 is huge in the bass, and recessed some in the mids.  HF5 is the opposite, somewhat:  very clear and strong mids, and lighter bass, but probably more natural in the bass.  Some EQ up in the 1-200K region gives is some bigger bottom end and warmth.

A very broad summary:  HJE900:  big and dark;  HF5:  clear and bright (transparent details, nothing muddled).
[/size]

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 31
HJE900 Big and dark......different ears I guess.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
HJE900 Big and dark......different ears I guess.

Well, that's compared to the clarity and openness of the HF5.  HJE900 felt "dark" to me due to the thickness of the bass and the relatively low  midrange.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #22 of 31
Ah got ya I would imagine due to the sound signature of Ety house sound it would be. I guess I wouldn't want to hear this.....unless I was looking for a polar opposite. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 31
I guess all Etymotics are known for their clarity,  prior to getting the Panasonics I was looking at some er4 but after reading the reviews I thought they might be to analytical and bright sounding.  I am very happy with the Panasonics but will definitely want  to try the etymotic house sound.  I'm new to IEM's,  I had some $100 Shure about 5 years back and was very disappointed.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
I guess all Etymotics are known for their clarity,  prior to getting the Panasonics I was looking at some er4 but after reading the reviews I thought they might be to analytical and bright sounding.  I am very happy with the Panasonics but will definitely want  to try the etymotic house sound.  I'm new to IEM's,  I had some $100 Shure about 5 years back and was very disappointed.

Safer wise I think you we be better off go toward the Phonak way which is actually doing what I did backward. Period after hearing the Phonak, Pana....then the Er4ps I strongly suggest Phonak. I don't know about the Hf5...

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
I guess all Etymotics are known for their clarity,  prior to getting the Panasonics I was looking at some er4 but after reading the reviews I thought they might be to analytical and bright sounding.  I am very happy with the Panasonics but will definitely want  to try the etymotic house sound. 

I've never had ER4's but my HF2s were indeed, amongst other things, bright and analytical compared to my HJE900s which were a little warmer and a load more fun. The upper registers of the Ety were untouched by the Panas, the Etys had a what sounded like an octave of air & clarity advantage.  The Ety bass was equally informative and fast, but information for me was not the equal of satisfaction, and the Pana's felt like they avenged that missing upper octave with their prowess in the lower registers.  Pana mids a little recessed but eq-able.

I'd compare the Pana's to a slightly airbrushed portrait photograph of a beautiful woman's smile,enagaging whilst not being the whole truth,  whereas the Ety's are more like her dental records, great if your a dentist but ultimately less satisfying emotionally.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
I've never had ER4's but my HF2s were indeed, amongst other things, bright and analytical compared to my HJE900s which were a little warmer and a load more fun. The upper registers of the Ety were untouched by the Panas, the Etys had a what sounded like an octave of air & clarity advantage.  The Ety bass was equally informative and fast, but information for me was not the equal of satisfaction, and the Pana's felt like they avenged that missing upper octave with their prowess in the lower registers.  Pana mids a little recessed but eq-able.

I'd compare the Pana's to a slightly airbrushed portrait photograph of a beautiful woman's smile,enagaging whilst not being the whole truth,  whereas the Ety's are more like her dental records, great if your a dentist but ultimately less satisfying emotionally.

Nice comparison this is how I feel about the Phonak vs. Pana this is simply because the Pana is more fuller and more lusher good thing about is it's never to to full as a matter of fact it sounds like a dynamic with analytical qualities. Nothing sounds bad on the Pana the treble can be a bit harsh but foam/right tips clear this up phenomenally.  

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 31
not to mention the Pana's 'Call of Duty' build quality.  

Of course I lost mine within 2 weeks of ownership.

Replaced with more comfortable (for my sensitive ear canals) with Westone 2's but I still miss those little Pana's. 

kmhaynes, FYI, 1 more thing to note is that in my experience Ety's isolated way better than the Panas.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 31
I completely agree with this thread. I have HF5's (I decided on them over the ER4P/S because there basically have the same ba just not hand picked) and purposely went the old school etymotic route. I find UE to be a ripoff in general the build quality is terrible, cables suck, and crappy isolation are all major downsides not to mention how extremely overpriced they are even in the IEM world.

If you can get the TF10 at a discount ~150-180 that they sometimes sell at then it becomes a close call but HF5's are only $129 right now and can be sometimes found for sub $100. It depends on the deals, but I would personally still take HF5 regardless of the price.

If you need more quantity and impact in your bass or something less analytical then go with the TF10 when they drop to $180 otherwise HF5 all the way.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
I completely agree with this thread. I have HF5's (I decided on them over the ER4P/S because there basically have the same ba just not hand picked) and purposely went the old school etymotic route. I find UE to be a ripoff in general the build quality is terrible, cables suck, and crappy isolation are all major downsides not to mention how extremely overpriced they are even in the IEM world.

If you can get the TF10 at a discount ~150-180 that they sometimes sell at then it becomes a close call but HF5's are only $129 right now and can be sometimes found for sub $100. It depends on the deals, but I would personally still take HF5 regardless of the price.

If you need more quantity and impact in your bass or something less analytical then go with the TF10 when they drop to $180 otherwise HF5 all the way.

Thanks jason, But yea, the only thing I really loved about TF10s was the bass, perfect in quantity and quality to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back