Quick, choose an mp3 player for my mom!
Dec 17, 2006 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know nothin' except Ipods and I hear Creative is big. I'm going to get a minisystem that rips CDs straight to a USB port. I need a basic, USB device type mp3 player. I need:

-standard USB interface
-2gb would be more than enough, 1GB or 512M might work
-simple controls
-inexpensive
-probably it should have a small display, not a Shuffle-type player
-FM radio might be nice but it's not required and I don't want to pay extra for it

That's about it as far as requirements I can think of. She's not an audiophile. There should be nothing tricky about it, and it probably shouldn't be fragile or TOO small. It's for Christmas.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd say Creative Zen V, if it isn't too much for your pocket.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say Creative Zen V, if it isn't too much for your pocket.

The 1GB is $90 which I could probably swing. $120 for 2GB; tough to choose because she wouldn't use more than 1GB now. Is it basically plug-and-play, no tricks or needed accessories?

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Refurbished 2GB iPod Nanos $99 here.

Thanks, I've seen the refurb store but she doesn't have her own computer. I was thinking of getting a basic USB device instead of an Ipod, so I could get that minisystem and she could rip things herself rather than being tied to my computer. She does live here for now but still, it should be like it's her thing.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 16
If you mean UMS drag-and-drop, none of the aforementioned devices function as such. You should look into a device such as the Cowon iAudio U2/U3/G3 series, or into similar UMS drag-and-drop devices that operate in such a manner.

The Zen V is certainly quite friendly on the wallet, but it requires software and is MTP. The iPod Nano is not MTP, but runs off a UMS platform that requires the iTunes software (alternatively, plug-ins for other programs such as Winamp also work) to transfer music. As such, I think either of these options would be less-than-ideal for your needs from a software standpoint.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 16
interesting, but i don't think thats a great way to go for a few reasons

1) the tracks won't have tags so you wont know artist, album, or song info. i'm guessing it just does a basic numbering.

2) depending on the mp3 player, you may not be able to delete tracks at all.

3) quality would be a huge question mark.

now, if that is your only option, sandisk and iaudio players both are able to be used as UMS devices which that will recognize.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Well, she's not an audiophile, she's been using a boombox and I'm not real worried about audio quality. I could rip the things for now but it would be nifty if the system could do it without a computer, impromptu like that. Yes, deletion is a thing I need to know about and I don't know about track names.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 16
The Zen V is just drag and drop on WinXP SP2, no need to install anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back