Quick ?: 963SA bright or dark?
Aug 1, 2003 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sephka

100+ Head-Fier
I need to know if the 963 is bright or dark. I'm going to be using it with the HD600, which is on the bright side, and a MG Head with some NOS tubes. I don't want brightness overload...thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
I need to know if the 963 is bright or dark. I'm going to be using it with the HD600, which is on the bright side, and a MG Head with some NOS tubes. I don't want brightness overload...thanks in advance.

HD600/MGHead, I consider myself this combo to be on the bright side, or better, rolled off on the bass spectrum, as the highs and mids were OK when I tried it (too much for my taste, to be honest) so I suggest you to get the darkest source you can get to feed them....I don't know how to consider the 963, just try it for a few minutes, but it seems to sound very similar to a Sony I have IME, and some consider the Sony's bright, so try a darker one or get other opinions at least if you can, before going for the 963....

Aug 2, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 16
The DVD 963SA is rather on the lean side, whereas the HD 600 must be called at least slightly dark, so this should be a good combo. I don't know the MG Head though, which - according to the comments - could tilt the balance towards the bright side again.

peacesign.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 16
I've heard the 963SA in setups in which it was not particularly bright (or even deficient in bass). These were speakered setups, primarily -- the 963 is *very* satisfying with the correct amp and speakers.

Right now, I'm listening to the Fine Arts Quartet's + Yuri Gandelsman's performances of the Mozart String Quartets (SACD). The setup: 963SA > MAD EAR+ > Senn 600. The effect is *not* too bright, though the same couldn't be said if I replaced the HD600 with the Grado RS-1. My Sony V6 sounds particularly good with this setup as well.

Still, if you're craving more bass (but not more "darkness"), you might prefer the 555ES, since we're now seeing deals on that particular item and I've actually listened to it with a pair of Senn 580s recently. The unadulterated sound was, in the words of an earlier poster, less "lean."

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 16
Having listened the HD 600 with the DVD 963SA through the Corda HA-2 as well as the ASL Reference Tools (a transformer-based passive attenuator) I must say that this combo isn't bright at all, but still somewhat dark, due to the HD 600's signature. I really doubt that the MG Head could make it sound bright.

And BTW, the DVD963SA is a great source for the money.

peacesign.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 16
yeah, I've tried several different amps and interconnects (inlcuded DH-Labs BL-1 which are pretty damn bright) in that combination (963 and sens) and it has definatly on the darker side of neautral to my ears... Even if your ears are considerably more sensitive to treble then most, I couldn't imagine anyone finding it to be overly bright.

Go ahead with it. It's a terrific unit for the money

Aug 2, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 16
I tend to agree with a couple of the previous comment in that I would never consider the HD-600 as bright.

I find the 963 to be relatively neutral allowing your headphones to really be themselves. A great source for comparing the sound qualities of different cans.

Aug 3, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
HD600/MGHead, I consider myself this combo to be on the bright side, or better, rolled off on the bass spectrum, as the highs and mids were OK when I tried it (too much for my taste, to be honest) so I suggest you to get the darkest source you can get to feed them....I don't know how to consider the 963, just try it for a few minutes, but it seems to sound very similar to a Sony I have IME, and some consider the Sony's bright, so try a darker one or get other opinions at least if you can, before going for the 963....

Umm, MG Head/HD600 combo bright? Wow, that's a first. I've got this combo and it's nowhere near bright in any way. You'd have to have one hell of a bright source along with bright cables for this combo to sound bright. The Gilmore V2 must have about made your ears bleed.
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 16
I find the 963SA to be neither bright or dark, just thin sounding and weak in the bass. The Senns definitly are on the dark side of neutral.

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 16
My MG Head can be overly bright (well.. I wouldn't say overly bright, just bass deficient) via the Transformer jack. The OTL jack the tonal balance is just the opposite, the highs are slightly rolled and the bottom end is much more pronounced. Much of this can be changed depending on the tubes used (although the difference between the two jacks remains fairly constant).

-dd3mon

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
My MG Head can be overly bright (well.. I wouldn't say overly bright, just bass deficient) via the Transformer jack. The OTL jack the tonal balance is just the opposite, the highs are slightly rolled and the bottom end is much more pronounced. Much of this can be changed depending on the tubes used (although the difference between the two jacks remains fairly constant).

-dd3mon

I guess I have only used the OTL option since I got the MG Head and of the two different sources I have used with it they were both tube sources. My current source is a Cal Sigma II tube DAC. Also, tubes in the MG Head are Sylvania black plates and Ei Elite Gold EL84's. Never any brightness here. But you are right, it probably can sound bright with certain tubes, not to mention what source and cables are behind it.

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 16
I hate brightness myself, but the HD-600 does sound more open in a brighter sounding setup (the HD-600 is NOT a bright sounding component). I have not heard the MG head, but I would not doubt its brightness. Believe it or not, the Melos SHA-Gold with Amperex bugle boy tubes is brighter tonally than the Gilmore V-2 and with the Sennheiser it improves the character of the headphones by making the listening a little more exciting.

I would recommend trying some darker tubes (do a search on tuberolling) for the MG Head if you find the experience too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back