Questyle QP Master New Upcoming DAP.
May 31, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #121 of 267
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but sine it looks that most of you owned the full QP lineup I was wondering whether you could help me with a decision. I'm considering buying a QP1R just for curiosity's sake, and I wonder how it fares up with the rest of the lineup.

I do have some background with Questyle myself, and I find its sound signature very interesting especially since my audition of the CMA600i. Unfortunately I lived briefly with the QP2R and while I found it very potent, it failed to move me emotionally. I also have experience with the CMA400i which I tested for about a week as a DAC/headphone amp, and found it a bit lifeless —a bit AKM-ey if you will (nicely blooming mids and organic sense of space, inoffensive highs, but overall a bit soft in the lows and its attack).

Which brings me to the QP1R: is it worth trying out, or should I save up for other ventures? My own reference point is the Chord Mojo, which I find covers most bases quite satisfactorily. I also don't really need a DAP, I'm just curious about the QP1R sound-wise because I found it at a good price.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #122 of 267
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but sine it looks that most of you owned the full QP lineup I was wondering whether you could help me with a decision. I'm considering buying a QP1R just for curiosity's sake, and I wonder how it fares up with the rest of the lineup.

I do have some background with Questyle myself, and I find its sound signature very interesting especially since my audition of the CMA600i. Unfortunately I lived briefly with the QP2R and while I found it very potent, it failed to move me emotionally. I also have experience with the CMA400i which I tested for about a week as a DAC/headphone amp, and found it a bit lifeless —a bit AKM-ey if you will (nicely blooming mids and organic sense of space, inoffensive highs, but overall a bit soft in the lows and its attack).

Which brings me to the QP1R: is it worth trying out, or should I save up for other ventures? My own reference point is the Chord Mojo, which I find covers most bases quite satisfactorily. I also don't really need a DAP, I'm just curious about the QP1R sound-wise because I found it at a good price.

Thanks in advance,

The difference between QP1R and QP2R is not night and day to me. If you did not like the QP2R, I think it is likely you won’t like the QP1R. It is more analytical than the QP2R

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #123 of 267
The difference between QP1R and QP2R is not night and day to me. If you did not like the QP2R, I think it is likely you won’t like the QP1R. It is more analytical than the QP2R
Interesting... I'd have thought it would be more 'round' and weighty; to be honest I have no experience from the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip, sounds like it's closer to the ESS sound than AKM or Burr-Brown.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #124 of 267
Interesting... I'd have thought it would be more 'round' and weighty; to be honest I have no experience from the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip, sounds like it's closer to the ESS sound than AKM or Burr-Brown.

Implementation is more important than the dac chip in many cases. Questyle implementation is different from others with the same dac.

There is a dedicated QP1R thread. I recommend you look through that thread and at the first post review that is very thorough.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...h-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings.778877/

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #125 of 267
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #126 of 267
Very informative, thanks!
I have owned the O.G. Questyle QP1 (it's not the QP1R but it's the limited first run of the Questyles) and currently own the QP2R. I'm going to say, get the QP2R (with the better UI) , and stack it with a Aune B1, B1S or BU1 amp. Get a Alo Audio braided interconnect and thank me later. You will love what results from this pairing.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #128 of 267
Since promotion has been so horrible, I think I'm just going to go with the gold Sony.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #135 of 267
The hub (see link above) has analog output only, intended for that purpose. Seems a little pricy to me. It seems to me, all you would need is a USB C --> RCA converter, which are readily available.
I wouldn't count on it, if my experience trying to get a line level output from the QP2R is anything to go by.
If you do find something that works, let me know, and I'll be able to throw away the 8 adapter cables I've bought so far that don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back