Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Mar 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #349 of 757
I can see in near future the same thing with black DP-777SE (or CAS192) on board
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #350 of 757
project86 are you sure the CMA800R has a very low output impedance? I found that while there was no hiss or background noise with the K812, I found it congested and the bass a bit boomy in comparison to the HD800. It could just be the Questyle doing an amazing job on the HD800 making everything else sound congested, and I do remember finding the Questyle to sound slightly better than Vali for K812 yesterday. I'll have to compare again today to confirm.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #351 of 757
Yep, measures under .5 ohm (as does the Questyle Q192 amp section as well). Apparently this is a byproduct of their current mode amplification technology, so it should be similar on all their products with headphone output. 

Perhaps you just don't love the K812? You wouldn't be the first person I've heard that from. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #352 of 757
Heres my current setup paired with hd800 and lcd2. Unbelievable!!!!!!

Have you compared how the HD800s sound using one amp (single ended) vs your dual mono (balanced) set up shown above?    Considering that the CMA800R already sounds fantastic with the HD800s as a single-ended amp, I'm sure many of us would like to know just how much better two are!

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #353 of 757
Amps:
Headroom BUDA
Headamp GS1
Headamp GS-X

DAC/Amp combos:
Benchmark DAC1
AnedioD1
Resonessence Invicta

Could you compare the Questyle and the GS-X, and why you liked the Questyle better with the HD800? The GS-X is quite a legendary pairing with the HD800 from what I hear.

If anyone else has heard both the Questyle and the GS-X, care to share what you liked about each and if you preferred one over the other, and why. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #354 of 757
So got a sneak peak at work today :)

No time to hook up a DAC at work, and only tried HD650, Momentum, IE800, HE500, Alpha Dogs and Spirit Professional.

Oddly enough, all the Senns paired best (warm sounding models in general), both planars sounded abnormally bright and the Spirit Pro was harsh as heck! All in all though, very impressed by the sonics straight from portable into the amp.

This sunday I'll be giving it a go with my NAD M51, HD800 and HE6. I'll put it up against stiff competition in terms of amps: my current modded McIntosh MC225 and a custom made SPUD derivative.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #355 of 757
^ Nice! cant wait to hear your impressions with a proper DAC and the HD800. Like many others have mentioned, I find this amp to be a one trick pony with the HD800 (and other Sennheisers like you mentioned or maybe 300 ohm headphones? After all, the specs on the website are tested on 300 ohms). But that one trick it does with the HD800, it does oh so well!
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #356 of 757
  ^ Nice! cant wait to hear your impressions with a proper DAC and the HD800. Like many others have mentioned, I find this amp to be a one trick pony with the HD800 (and other Sennheisers like you mentioned or maybe 300 ohm headphones? After all, the specs on the website are tested on 300 ohms). But that one trick it does with the HD800, it does oh so well!
redface.gif

So far it's hard to analyse it. It has very peculiar responses with certain headphones.

All Senns sounded good. Never heard the HD650 sound so open and good (usually dislike that phone). Same goes for momentum. IE800 became even more colored and bass monsters (but enjoyable and very competent technically). The HE500 which is usually laid-back was harsh up top. Alpha Dogs lost their neutrality and became etched up high. And the spirit pro, which is forward sounding; became a shrill mess.

I have no idea what to expect!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #357 of 757

Could you compare the Questyle and the GS-X, and why you liked the Questyle better with the HD800? The GS-X is quite a legendary pairing with the HD800 from what I hear.

If anyone else has heard both the Questyle and the GS-X, care to share what you liked about each and if you preferred one over the other, and why. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been a little while since I had the GS-X (MkI version) but at the time I had that amp, I always felt in was just a bit lacking in overall refinement for my taste.  It certainly handled the HD800s well but in retrospect I didn't think it reached as "deeply" into the sound nor had the same emotional impact as the CMA800R does.   This may not be a fair comparison though, since I'm basing my comparison on the older MkI version, and not the newer MKII GS-X.  I suspect in all fairness, the Questyle and GS-X MkII may be much more similar than different.  

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #360 of 757

Users who are viewing this thread

Back