Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #318 of 757
  Please allow me an other question on DAC choosing for matching with single CMA800R & HD800 (stock cable). Leaving Auralic Vega & Questyle CAS192 out (too expensive for me at the moment) Now I'm choosing between DA8 & Firestone Tobby & Schiit Gungnir. They will be pluged directly into usb of a laptop and as I already noted I'm listening mainly to classical music, mostly elder (60-80) recordings not always of audiophile quality (most recording done prior to 1960 sound on my current system so bad that I skip them at all).

In the Tobby review you stated that you liked it a lot for classical music. But later on you have written that it's a bit on the bright/analytical side and not the best choise for not top quality recordings. Won't it sound bright/unforgiving for not top quality recordings on my system with CMA800R & HD800? Would DA8 be a better choise in this scenario?

In the DA8 review you also mentioned that DA8 sounded noticable better with Audiophilleo or Auraliti PK90 (that I don't have) than straight of the usb on a macbook, at the same time Tobby sounded best over usb even straight from the macbook.

The Tobby will cost me just 50-60% of what I would have to pay for DA8, so DA8 has to be definatly superior for my system to make up the extra expense.

It's sad but I have no other choise than buying them without auditioning first - that's why i'm asking so many questions.

In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play. DA8 is still very good via Macbook USB.... those other things improve it, but baseline performance is already quite good. I believe Tobby is more compromised on the other inputs - it's mainly a USB DAC, with legacy support, while the DA8 is roughly equal across all inputs. Which makes it more susceptible to expensive USB to SPDIF converters like the OR5 or AP1+PP. 

At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.  

It sound great with ortos and with the HD650, a big improvement compared with single ended.
With the HD800 the improvement are lower.

Makes sense - a single CMA800R is already brilliant with HD800 and has plenty of juice, so the extra power isn't needed so much. With planars, the increase is probably more welcome. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #319 of 757
  In that case I would definitely lean towards the DA8. Tobby is brilliant with good recordings, but not very forgiving with poor material. DA8 is a lot more even handing, sounding good with most anything you play.
At half price, Tobby is attractive, but I'm still not sure it's ideal due to your choice of music.

As always - thank you very much for your reviews and answers on the forum!
Just ordered DA8 here in Russia locally and for a reasonable price, CMA800R has passed customs today, so I will be back next week with my initial impressions of my new setup: DA8 - CMA800R - HD800

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #320 of 757

Makes sense - a single CMA800R is already brilliant with HD800 and has plenty of juice, so the extra power isn't needed so much. With planars, the increase is probably more welcome. 

I think the same thing.
I never heard the HD800 better without any amp.
It's the firsto 10 on 10 score on my site 
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #323 of 757
Not directly. I've heard the L2, love it, and if any amp out there can compete with CMA800R/HD800, the ECP might be it. But that's as far as I can say without direct comparisons.

From what i know, the L-2 is THE best of the best for HD800 ( check the review of Tyll for L-2/HD800 combo @Innerfidelity when comparing with the Abyss 1266). So, now, it seems the CMA800R is of the same league of the ECP...wow...i'm very impressed of this amp....:D:D

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #324 of 757
From what i know, the L-2 is THE best of the best for HD800 ( check the review of Tyll for L-2/HD800 combo @Innerfidelity when comparing with the Abyss 1266). So, now, it seems the CMA800R is of the same league of the ECP...wow...i'm very impressed of this amp....
biggrin.gif
:D

In context, he does mention (bottom of the page) it being ideal for those who struggle with the HD800 being too sterile. I don't know if I'd use the same description regarding CMA800R. Then again, I don't recommend the L-2 as being overly syrupy or anything like that, so it would be a good comparison to have them both handy.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #325 of 757
Really appreciate all the informative reviews. I received my Questyle this week and am blown away by the amazing quality of sound I'm getting with my HD800s played through my PerfectWaveII which is part of my main system. I'm a newbie to the headfi scene but I can see why it's such a fast-growing segment of the audio landscape. I just got my Hugo a few weeks ago and the Questyle even betters that great sounding rig.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #329 of 757
  Your CMA 800R has tubes
confused_face_2.gif

LOL! No, he must have tube amp/dac in background of photo.

Ah, never mind, I need more coffee...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back