Questions regarding upgrading to Dacmagic Plus or Yulong D100 Mk II
Aug 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

paullindqvist

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Im soon looking to upgrade my Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC, while i like the sound im getting from it. Im sure i could get some more out of my speakers with a higher quality DAC, well that's what intend to find out anyway! 
biggrin.gif

Some requirements:

Budget: 420 Euro (max)

Outputs: Balanced XLR or Balanced Jack plug

Priority:DAC over headphone amp

So iv been looking at the Dacmagic Plus which i can get locally (new in store) for 420 euro and the Yulong D100 MK ii which i can get for 346 euro shipped to Sweden.

They look similar in spec's, anyone have experience with both of them and have some advice/experience to share ?

Also suggestions on other DAC's that match the criteria is most welcome as well.

Thanx!

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Well it seems i need a pre-amp if im gonna use the Yulong since the volume knob only affects the HP amp.

Also the Yulong doesn't support 24-192 over usb ? 

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't have experience with the other DAC but I'm happy with the DM+. The sound is smooth and nice. In comparison to the more expensive one, the m2tech young, DM+ has the high rolled off. In addition, the resolution is not as good as the Young. Nevertheless I think that DM+ is very good for its price point and you won't regret in buying it,

The headphone output is quite good for high impedence headphones. I'm using it with the HD800 and it sounds nice. However, for IEMs, the headphone output is not really good. For instance, the sound seems to be a little bit muddier from the same material.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanx for the reply, much appreciated!

A question

Am i right in assuming the Dacmagic Plus will up sample the source internally ? So instead of the software player like Fidelia do it thru software (and hoggin the cpu) the Dacmagic will do internally with it's hardware ? 

Thanx!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanx, excellent!

My research this far points me to the Dacmagic Plus. Especially considering thats it's quite cheap in Sweden compared to the rest of Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back