Questions regarding Essence ST
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pelson

New Head-Fier
Hello!
beerchug.gif

This might have been asked before, but on my searches i didn't find any satisfiying answers. So I'll give this a go.

Alright, i just got a Xonar Essence ST combined with Sennheiser HD-650. And as I am a complete beginner in the kingdom of audio, all the settings confuses me.

1. Sample-Rate
I use Foobar with ASIO at 24Bit. I've read i should set the Sample-rate in Xonar Audio Center to 44.1Khz when listening to music to get bit-perfect, but what about the settings in Windows Control Panel? There you can set anything from 16/44.1 to 24/192 (Playback->Speakers->Advanced->Default format). Do i also have to change this along with the Xonar Control Center everytime to get bit-perfect? I know MP3/FLAC is 44.1Khz and movies are 48Kz. Another question, what sample-rate should I use for gaming?

2. Dolby Headphone and Audio Channels
Ok, if I gotten it right it should be like this:
2 Channels for music
6 Channels for movies with 5.1
8 Channels for gaming

And as I only use headphones, do i always leave it at 2 Channels? or will the Dolby Headphone work incorrectly if i do? Does Dolby Headphone need to have the Aduio Channels set correctly to work? In games for an example, do i have to use Dolby Headphone with 8 Channels inorder for it to work correctly? And the 7.1 Virtual Shifter, is that something I need when using 8 Channels in games?

Ok, thats the questions i would like to have some information on.
Sorry, but all these settings, especially the thing you can change in Windows Control Panel, is confusing me. If i use 96Khz in Audio Center, and 44.1Khz in Windows. What will then be the final samplerate of the sound im listening too?

Alright, creds to anyone taking thier time reading this, and hopefully trying to explain how everything works!

Thanks
//Pelle

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!
beerchug.gif

This might have been asked before, but on my searches i didn't find any satisfiying answers. So I'll give this a go.

Alright, i just got a Xonar Essence ST combined with Sennheiser HD-650. And as I am a complete beginner in the kingdom of audio, all the settings confuses me.

1. Sample-Rate
I use Foobar with ASIO at 24Bit. I've read i should set the Sample-rate in Xonar Audio Center to 44.1Khz when listening to music to get bit-perfect, but what about the settings in Windows Control Panel? There you can set anything from 16/44.1 to 24/192 (Playback->Speakers->Advanced->Default format). Do i also have to change this along with the Xonar Control Center everytime to get bit-perfect? I know MP3/FLAC is 44.1Khz and movies are 48Kz. Another question, what sample-rate should I use for gaming?

For Bit perfect you set the sample rate to 16/44.1 if this is the audio your playing. The driver will not change sample rates on their own but ASUS are said to be putting out auto sample rate drivers down the road.

Some are really consfused on this subject as the card supports bit Perfect but not auto sample rate. Many just set the card to a high bit depth frequency and let the card resample as it has a very high quality filter and there is no noticable artifacts or negative aspects from resampling.
There was postings by many of the owners of the STX/ST who state they cannot hear the difference between bit perfect or resampling. You can check for yourself as you have the card.
Gaming audio is usually lower quality samples or compressed lossy files so many times 16/44.1 is more then enough.
Quote:

2. Dolby Headphone and Audio Channels
Ok, if I gotten it right it should be like this:
2 Channels for music
6 Channels for movies with 5.1
8 Channels for gaming

And as I only use headphones, do i always leave it at 2 Channels? or will the Dolby Headphone work incorrectly if i do? Does Dolby Headphone need to have the Aduio Channels set correctly to work? In games for an example, do i have to use Dolby Headphone with 8 Channels inorder for it to work correctly? And the 7.1 Virtual Shifter, is that something I need when using 8 Channels in games?

Dolby heapdhoens will only be available if your set the card to headphone mode. Many suggest setting the Windows control panel and games/movies etc to surround audio and setting the card to headphoens and Dolby headphone. Experimment though and see what works best for you.
Quote:

Ok, thats the questions i would like to have some information on.
Sorry, but all these settings, especially the thing you can change in Windows Control Panel, is confusing me. If i use 96Khz in Audio Center, and 44.1Khz in Windows. What will then be the final samplerate of the sound im listening too?

Alright, creds to anyone taking thier time reading this, and hopefully trying to explain how everything works!

Thanks
//Pelle

It can get confusing if you go through multiple sample rates.
try and keep everything set to one sample rate. As I said some leave it set for CD audio -16/44,1 as that is generally what most of their audio is.
Others set the card to 192 and let the card resample. Again, use what works best for you and the task you perform.
There are many owners of the STX around here but many are waiting to get the ST as it becomes available in more locations worldwide. Have you considered changing your opamps and improving the sound quality?
Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 9
If you are using foobar with asio then windows setting is bypassed. Just set the sample rate at 44.1khz in xonar control centre & enable Hi-fi mode & you will get bit-perfect output.
Also remember that xonar drivers bypass 96khz & higher sample rates so you only have to worry about 48khz with this setup.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using foobar with asio then windows setting is bypassed. Just set the sample rate at 44.1khz in xonar control centre & enable Hi-fi mode & you will get bit-perfect output.
Also remember that xonar drivers bypass 96khz & higher sample rates so you only have to worry about 48khz with this setup.

did you check if it was really bit-perfect? w/ S/PDIF to an amp and a HDCD/DTS CD?

also, the drivers will resample ANY freq to the fixed samplerate in the drivers...only the DSP is bypassed for 96KHz, not resampling. and yes it's audible too, try to play a 24/192 file w/ 44.1 set in the drivers in KS on XP....you might not like what you'll hear
confused_face.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Alright, thanks for all the answers!

I'll just put it on 24/96 in Xonar Audio Center and Windows Control Panel and keep it like that all the time.

The only think im trying to figure out now is how the Dolby Headphone works, isn't there any defenite setting here? like 2 channel for music, 6 channels for movies and 8 channels for gaming? Or can I have it on "2 Channels" all the time and still et fully functional Dolby Headphone?

Thanks!

*Edit* Also, when right-clicking Speakers in Windows mixer and pressing "Configure", should i tick "Full-Range Speakers"? I use the Essence with HD-650 and Z-5500.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dolby heapdhoens will only be available if your set the card to headphone mode.

Hi,
noticed that too. I have a dedicated headphone amp now, so I can't use Dolby Headphone atm. Is there any workaround to get Dolby Headphone working without using the STX "Headphone-AMP-Out"?
happy_face1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spin0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any workaround to get Dolby Headphone working without using the STX "Headphone-AMP-Out"?

nope, but the Claro Halo allows it.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by spin0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
noticed that too. I have a dedicated headphone amp now, so I can't use Dolby Headphone atm. Is there any workaround to get Dolby Headphone working without using the STX "Headphone-AMP-Out"?
happy_face1.gif

You can add dolby headphone to your player and there are ways to link it right up through ANY soundcard. Using VST and Host Apps...
I will see if I can put together a setup procedure for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back