Questions for the CEO of Skullcandy
Oct 21, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #16 of 56
mm i should change the title of the thread....I didn't put too much thought into the title as I was craving lunch
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #17 of 56
To spice the thread you should put up a video of you running over a Skullcandy with a car.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 56
Ok; so I just got curious and looked at the Skullcandy site.

Sheer marketing genius!

In reality there are probably more kids growing up and going through a phase in their lives who will buy these things just for image, than there are of all of us here at Head-Fi who are SQ oriented!

If it has bass, if it can play loud and if it fits the visual style of the particular listener, they've probably made a sale.
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok; so I just got curious and looked at the Skullcandy site.

Sheer marketing genius!

In reality there are probably more kids growing up and going through a phase in their lives who will buy these things just for image, than there are of all of us here at Head-Fi who are SQ oriented!

If it has bass, if it can play loud and if it fits the visual style of the particular listener, they've probably made a sale.
cool.gif

None of them fit my style!

I'm going to get back to rocking out with my bulbous H2s. Say, I should mount a TV antenna on these things to further my individuality!

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 56
Here is a question from me:
Why would Skullcandy claims to produce the industry first vibrating headphone (Skullcrashers) when it is known that Panasonic starts selling headphone of similar function (VMSS series) since early/mid 90s? (Headwize even has a picture of the RP-HT970)

I hope he has some really good reason.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #23 of 56
As a highschool student when I see people wearing skullcandys and saying they rock, I die inside. not a little, alot. ESPECIALLY when it's my really good friends saying they want them for snowboarding... Why listen to music when you snowboard is beyond me. Then again, what is better that you can get for 30 bucks. I'm not defending skullcandy, just asking so I can point my buddy in the right direction.

In the website, there is a picture of that famous che guevera (spelling) picture. Pure. Marketing. Genius. Then again, the downfall of western civilization.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 56
I've thought about it, and i can honestly say i have more questions for the CEO of Coby.

I really don't have any burning questions for Skullcandy. Most people just respond to bass and aesthetics, and they're marketing right for it.

There's nothing interesting or compelling about a company that shoots right for the lowerst common denominator.

Maybe I'd say something like:

1st question: "Fake bullets on the headband. Dude. What?!"

2nd question: "No seriously, What?!"

'course, I'd love to ask the Ultrasone people the same question about their 'shielded' headphones.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #25 of 56
The 'lowriders' (I think they're called? supraaural, semiclosed, about 50$ I think) sound pretty decent for what they are. Never heard any of their other headphones.

Seems pretty silly to harp on stuff most of you have undoubtedly never heard, even given questionable aesthetics. But then again, Grados? K701s? Heh.

jess

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #26 of 56
Jesse, check out your local Canadian best-buy. The black and gold low-riders are on sale for 50% off. I just picked up my pair today.

As for the Lowriders, I think Jesse's right. I don't know about $50, but at $25 it's a great deal... almost as clean as my Koss 75s, but it seems more balanced with decent bass without getting muddy. We'll see how I feel about it when my PX100s arrive, but until then I really like the eyecatching style (whether or not its aesthetically pleasing), portability, decent sound, comfort.

YMMV, as an audiophile I kinda suck.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems pretty silly to harp on stuff most of you have undoubtedly never heard, even given questionable aesthetics.

a wise man once said, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know because i wouldn't eat the filthy mofo.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 56
I think that metaphors a little off, because skull candy isn't any less hygienic than any other headphone. There's no threat to your health, so why not try with an open mind first?

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 56
Well if there's somewhere i can audition this lowrider, I'd be glad to put it up against a $6 Coby CV-130 w/ no-donut mod. I figure it'd be a fair fight.

The point i was making was about, for lack of a more apt term, karma. At this point, even if they made a premium grade headphone with conservative styling, I'd never buy it from the same company that made the "Desert G.I." for the same reason that i won't buy headphones from a company that preys on the ignorant and paranoid with "mu metal shielding".

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #30 of 56
"Get better sound than $300 headphones all for $69.95 USD."
This was from the description for skullcrushers.. Um.. tell the CEO not to lie? Havent heard them, but I'm pretty sure lots of other headphones exceed them at that price range..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back