Questions for Singlepower Extreme Owners
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

diskostu

Head-Fier
I just got the stock Extreme and I have a several questions about it. I'm using a pair of Tung-Sol 5998 and a Sylvania 6SN7 GT. How much heat is it suppose put out? My Woo3 gets warm with the WE 421A and Phillips E88CC's but the Extreme is quite a bit warmer. During startup do you experience buzzing that goes away after a couple of minutes? And can I plug and unplug the headphone while the amp is on (the instructions for the Woo3 says to plug and unplug the headphone when the amp is off)?

Thanks,

David

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 18
It can get pretty warm. No, I've never heard buzzing (call Mikhail). I unplug and plug in headphones all the time to switch, just turn the volume all the way down. Your amp should have headphones plugged in, though, if you have it on.

Congrats on a really nice amp.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 18
It gets very warm, make sure it has plenty of ventilation.
Some tubes make a racket when warming up. If you try some of the other tubes, it will probably be different.
TR

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diskostu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the stock Extreme and I have a several questions about it. I'm using a pair of Tung-Sol 5998 and a Sylvania 6SN7 GT. How much heat is it suppose put out? My Woo3 gets warm with the WE 421A and Phillips E88CC's but the Extreme is quite a bit warmer. During startup do you experience buzzing that goes away after a couple of minutes?

Try another set of tubes to see if the buzz goes away.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 18
It does sound like tube warm-up, which can involve buzzing or crackling or the like. I never listen while turning on my SP amps or other tube amps because of that fact. If it goes away in a couple minutes, then use that as your guide for warm-up.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 18
I experienced a buzzing with my Extreme. The time for it to disappear gradually increased to the point where it did not go away. Swapping the 6sn7GT for another tube solved the problem.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuterium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I experienced a buzzing with my Extreme. The time for it to disappear gradually increased to the point where it did not go away. Swapping the 6sn7GT for another tube solved the problem.

Your 6sn7 was on its last breaths...
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I read that people were considering an ecc2 adapter for the extreme. Did anyone get it and how does it sound with 6DJ8/6922?

-David

I use the ECC1 adaptor with 6414, 12au7-12az7 and 5998 Chatham's and 6080's. I don't know about the other adaptor though.

Frank

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the ECC1 adaptor with 6414, 12au7-12az7 and 5998 Chatham's and 6080's. I don't know about the other adaptor though.

Frank

My experiences echo this configuration. The 6414 and 12(au,av,az)7s sound better to me than the 6sn7s. Earl has also mentioned that the ECC1 adapter gives more selection of gain tubes than the other adapters.

Mine has no hum and the tube heat is the only thing that is noticed. The Transformer and body are not heated at all. This is the platinum though. The smaller tranny may put out some heat. Change the gain tube as suggested, email the boss about it if it persists.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experiences echo this configuration. The 6414 and 12(au,av,az)7s sound better to me than the 6sn7s. Earl has also mentioned that the ECC1 adapter gives more selection of gain tubes than the other adapters.

Mine has no hum and the tube heat is the only thing that is noticed. The Transformer and body are not heated at all. This is the platinum though. The smaller tranny may put out some heat. Change the gain tube as suggested, email the boss about it if it persists.

Yep Earls the Man

yes the 6SN7's don't quite cut it for me either. I do have some slight hum but I am not sure where it's coming from. I think it might be issue with the Dac1 or something else, I am not ruling out the amp at this point.

Frank

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 18
I have a stock EXTREME too.
I'm currently running RCA 6AS7G's w/ a GE 5965 grayplate.
This config. sounds very good to me, a little better than w/ 6414 grayplate's.
Prior to buying the EXTREME, I had a Little Dot 2++.
This EXTREME runs COOL compared to the LD2++.
I've never experienced any hum from this unit, but I never listen until it's
warmed up either! Yep, thanks to Earl for the tube suggestions
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I read that people were considering an ecc2 adapter for the extreme. Did anyone get it and how does it sound with 6DJ8/6922?

-David

I have the extreme with the ecc2, Mikhail send me a ECC88 tube (don't know the brand) with the adapter. The sound has a powerful bass, dinamics and is nicely layered; although doesn't have the soundstage or the tone of the 6sn7. I love the combination of this tube with the AKG K701.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

-David

I have the ecc2 adapter but the only 6922 tube I have is a Jan Phillips which to me is not great, in fact it's the worst input tube I have. It has good dynamics and bass but I think it's not very detailed and is rolled off in the highs. Perhaps one of the good 6dj8/6922 tubes is better.
However, I have several 6cg7 and 6gu7 tubes that I use with the ecc2 adapter. They are cheap and sound very good, in many cases as good or better than much more expensive tubes.

Regards,
Diego

Users who are viewing this thread

Back