Questions for Singlepower Extreme Owners
Oct 27, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the ecc2 adapter but the only 6922 tube I have is a Jan Phillips which to me is not great, in fact it's the worst input tube I have. It has good dynamics and bass but I think it's not very detailed and is rolled off in the highs. Perhaps one of the good 6dj8/6922 tubes is better.
However, I have several 6cg7 and 6gu7 tubes that I use with the ecc2 adapter. They are cheap and sound very good, in many cases as good or better than much more expensive tubes.

Regards,
Diego

The reason I ask about the ecc2 is because I have a small collection of 6DJ8/6922. They can get expensive but I usually wait until I see a good deal on the for sale forum and buying used ones help, in terms of price.

It'll be a while before I consider buying the ecc1 or ecc2 because I've spent enough money for now. I bought the extreme from Todd R and it came with a nice of set of tubes to play around with.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the ecc2 adapter but the only 6922 tube I have is a Jan Phillips which to me is not great, in fact it's the worst input tube I have. It has good dynamics and bass but I think it's not very detailed and is rolled off in the highs. Perhaps one of the good 6dj8/6922 tubes is better.
However, I have several 6cg7 and 6gu7 tubes that I use with the ecc2 adapter. They are cheap and sound very good, in many cases as good or better than much more expensive tubes.

Regards,
Diego

JAN Philips are not very good sounding and are not representative of the better 6922's. But, 6922's in general, are very expensive for the good ones. There are better sounding tubes than even the better 6922's IMO .... I prefer the 6cg7/6gu7 to anything else I have tried in the ECC2 adapter.

In fact, currently I use the 6cg7 and 6gu7 more than any other gain tube. I have a 6cg7 in my Extreme and in one PPX3 SLAM .... while the 6gu7 is in my Supra 392 as well as my other two PPX3 SLAM's. The 6gu7 is like Diego said, "as good or better than much more expensive tubes". You guys with ECC2 adapters should really give the 6gu7 a try. This tube is especially good if you want to lower the noise floor.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 18
yeah, Extreme gets really hot.. during summer months I put a room fan into the corner behind the Extreme to increase the airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back