Questions concerning Custom IEMs and Reshelling.
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DrewWaits

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I have hated IEMs for as long as I have used them. They are highly uncomfortable to me. I don't know if that is because my ear canal is shallow, narrow, etc. But I work out, and, over or on-ear headphones just make my head too hot, so that has led me to custom IEMs. I have a short list of criteria that I would need met:

1) I am looking for reference-style iems. I have bass cans, I just want detail and clarity. I like to listen to music the way it was recorded so I don't want my IEMs changing the sound too much. So that is my preference on the sound.
2) I'm an entry level kind of guy, so I suppose entry level price is what I'm looking at. I've seen that is around 300-400 bucks. 
3) That being said, if I am going to drop close to half a grand, I want them to be undeniably me. So visual customization  is extremely important. (And before you say "that's not what headphones are about" they are 90% sound, 10% style to me. So its important)

I have seen a lot of these companies will do custom reshelling. If there are better IEMs or CIEMs out that I can get in that price range, I don't mind picking a different company to do the shelling and artwork on the earpieces. So if any of you think their are IEMs (obviously still in the entry level range, which would be considerably cheaper I'd assume) that would be worth reshelling. It would appear this route would come out cheaper, since the reshelling at some places seems to be 50-150 bucks. So if that avenue is viable I'd be totally into that.

So overall I am looking for some entry level CIEMS, that really just have good level sound, and as much customization as possible. 

Just some extra information. I have looked around and in terms of customization I found westone and JH the best in that category.

Musical Tastes: 
Hard Rock: Deftones. Godsmack, Shinedown
90s Alt & Grunge: Pearl Jam, Tonic, Live
Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin, Genesis
Pop: Maroon 5

Thanks Everyone for your time! 

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 10
From what I've seen, cheapest reshell is inearz for $150. Heir has a $70 reshell for their product but with shipping and what not, I would think it's near the same price range. Artwork is on top of that, so expect to be paying around $200+ for the reshell and artwork combined. This doesn't include the audiologist fee to get an ear impression and shipping fees. With that in mind, do you still have the funds to get a custom? Because that is half of your budget and I'm not sure if you can even get a pair of used customs for $200.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 10
That makes sense. It seems a bit steep for what would seem (and I say seem) akin to printing on any other type of acrylic or plastic. Thanks for the information. I guess I wait. This was more of an exploration than a shopping trip. Thanks everyone. I'll just lurk on the IEM board and try to find some Universals that suit my fancy.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 10
i don't know... are you sure you want to wear your precious iem whilst working out? i'm afraid the sweat when working out will ruin it! better stick to dedicated sports earphone.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Grab a pair of Miracles or JH13 on the fs forum and reshell them. Otherwise for comfort, Custom Art is doing custom iems in silicone at crazy prices, and the reviews are great.
And I also advise not listening to Maroon 5 with good ciems, they might blow up.

I should have expected that response. Their older stuff is still pretty funky regardless of how bad they really are. I'll jam 'em. My guilty pleasure, I must admit. Thanks for the info, I'l check for sale.

Quote:
i don't know... are you sure you want to wear your precious iem whilst working out? i'm afraid the sweat when working out will ruin it! better stick to dedicated sports earphone.

Fair point. I'll look for a dedicated pair. Jaybird or something to that effect.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I should have expected that response. Their older stuff is still pretty funky regardless of how bad they really are. I'll jam 'em. My guilty pleasure, I must admit. Thanks for the info, I'l check for sale.

Fair point. I'll look for a dedicated pair. Jaybird or something to that effect.

Last I checked and it was recent since I just grabbed a pair of Miracles for reshell, it's around 500+ for the used CIEM and another 150 for the basic reshell. Faceplates, artwork, shipping, ear impressions, etc etc are additional costs. This puts it wayyyyyyyyy over the OP's $400 budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back