Questions About the Sennheiser HD 598s
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

funxion

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I just joined and am by no means an audiophile, but I have a few questions about my new HD 598s.

1. What type of headphones are they? They're not advertised as stereo or surround sound headphones anywhere on the box (from what I can see). They don't sound like stereo headphones, but I'm just not sure at all.

2. I plugged them into my tower (using on-board audio) and they seem to be surround sound in some games, but not others. I was told to get a sound card in order to put them into virtual 7.1 surround sound. Is this what you guys recommend?

I've never really seen the need for a sound card, but then again I've never really needed since my previous headset had drivers and software to go with it. I bought these headphones because I'm heading off to college this coming fall and figured they would be nice to have for flights there/back, movies, music, and gaming along with a nice set of earphones (probably going to get the Etymotic HF-5's).

I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Hey guys. I just joined and am by no means an audiophile, but I have a few questions about my new HD 598s.

1. What type of headphones are they? They're not advertised as stereo or surround sound headphones anywhere on the box (from what I can see). They don't sound like stereo headphones, but I'm just not sure at all.

2. I plugged them into my tower (using on-board audio) and they seem to be surround sound in some games, but not others. I was told to get a sound card in order to put them into virtual 7.1 surround sound. Is this what you guys recommend?

I've never really seen the need for a sound card, but then again I've never really needed since my previous headset had drivers and software to go with it. I bought these headphones because I'm heading off to college this coming fall and figured they would be nice to have for flights there/back, movies, music, and gaming along with a nice set of earphones (probably going to get the Etymotic HF-5's).

I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide.

They are stereo headphones. If you have a sound card that does Dolby Headphone or Creative's Surround processing (been called many things, but should be on any new card) you will get positional audio from multichannel sources such as games or movies. Your onboard sound may have some emulation or you could just be hearing good stereo =)

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
They are stereo headphones. If you have a sound card that does Dolby Headphone or Creative's Surround processing (been called many things, but should be on any new card) you will get positional audio from multichannel sources such as games or movies. Your onboard sound may have some emulation or you could just be hearing good stereo =)

So why do I see all these posts about people using them for gaming if they're stereo? Thought 7.1 was the new norm for gaming?

And is the ASUS Xonar DSX good for a sound card? I'm not really looking to spend too much on one.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
So why do I see all these posts about people using them for gaming if they're stereo? Thought 7.1 was the new norm for gaming?

7.1 headphones are usually very gimmicky. A really good pair of stereo headphones using positional sound through something like Dolby headphone is usually superior. The 598s are really excellent using positional sound, I use mine for gaming exclusively.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
7.1 headphones are usually very gimmicky. A really good pair of stereo headphones using positional sound through something like Dolby headphone is usually superior. The 598s are really excellent using positional sound, I use mine for gaming exclusively.

And what sound card do you have/recommend?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

And is the ASUS Xonar DSX good for a sound card? I'm not really looking to spend too much on one.

It's all clever processing to give positional cues using two-channel stereo. If you had true 7.1 channel headphones, wouldn't you have three drivers per ear, a center channel dangling off the front of you, and a sub strapped to your neck?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
I currently use a sound blaster ZX , which has been nice so far (I also run 5.1 speakers off that card). Asus also makes good cards, anything with Dolby Headphone will give you positional.

Should I be looking at 5.1 channel sound cards instead of 7.1 channel ones?

And is the DSX is out of the question because it doesn't have Dolby?

In that case, I may just get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020. It's cheaper and has the Dolby headphone setup.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Should I be looking at 5.1 channel sound cards instead of 7.1 channel ones?

And is the DSX is out of the question because it doesn't have Dolby?

In that case, I may just get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020. It's cheaper and has the Dolby headphone setup.

Depends on what you are looking for, 5.1/7.1 shouldnt matter for headphones. I needed 5.1 analog outs for my speakers, so I could run them and my headphones without having to switch cables. The xonar is often recommended as a low cost card if you dont need any specific extras. Thats a PCI card so double check to make sure you have an open slot. A lot of newer motherboards use PCI-E for everything.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for, 5.1/7.1 shouldnt matter for headphones. I needed 5.1 analog outs for my speakers, so I could run them and my headphones without having to switch cables. The xonar is often recommended as a low cost card if you dont need any specific extras. Thats a PCI card so double check to make sure you have an open slot. A lot of newer motherboards use PCI-E for everything.

I have Logitech Z313's for my speakers (I know they're not that great). If I run my headset through the wired controller (it has an on/off button and a headphone input jack), will I need to run them through 5.1 analog outputs? Or can I just run my speakers and headphones in separate ports on the sound card?

So it's between the following:
-ASUS Xonar DG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020
-ASUS Xonar DX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
I have Logitech Z313's for my speakers (I know they're not that great). If I run my headset through the wired controller (it has an on/off button and a headphone input jack), will I need to run them through 5.1 analog outputs? Or can I just run my speakers and headphones in separate ports on the sound card?

So it's between the following:
-ASUS Xonar DG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020
-ASUS Xonar DX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

Those 2 sound cards are two different ports. You need to figure out if you have a PCI Express port open (prob a 1x) or if you have a PCI slot open on your motherboard.You are prob going to use the front speaker out (green plug) to use your speakers, if the sound card has a dedicated headphone out (i couldnt see in the pic) you would plug your headphone into that and your mic into the mic out on the back of the card.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #14 of 18
I have both open. My other issue is the fact that I recently found that my front audio panel produces a constant buzzing/fuzzy sound when I plug anything into it (tried my speakers and my headphones. Is there any way to fix this or will I have to just use the back panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back