Questions about the Kenwood HD30GB9
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #61 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD10 and HD30 are same generation Kenwood players. They should use the same internal amplification circuit, but the HD30 has a more advanced option, called Supreme Ex, that is said to bring out frequencies up to 20KHz from mp3 (that lose frequencies over 16KHz). How they can do, I have no clue. HD10's Supreme and HD30's Supreme Ex make the overall sound brighter (it's like an EQ preset).
I have the Hd10, and I used to have the HD20. I think the HD10 actually sounds better, with wider soundstage and slightly richer mids.

Hmmm. There must be something going on if there's a difference between the 10 and 20 gb models. I'd have thought the 30 would have sounded the best, but maybe not
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #62 of 94
I've gathered some information. The HD20GA7 and HD30GA7 were first generation Kenwood.
HD10GB7 and HD30GB9 are second generation models.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #63 of 94
Quote:

I've gathered some information. The HD20GA7 and HD30GA7 were first generation Kenwood.
HD10GB7 and HD30GB9 are second generation models.

Ahhh, there's some of the confusion. I thought you were talking about a difference in the B version, not a difference in the A->B versions. I'd have expected a difference in that.
Im wondering how the HD30GB9 compares to the iMod setup. As I'm guessing that the HD30GB9 is Kenwood's current top of the range model with the best components?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #64 of 94
I've not heard the HD30GB9, but that the main difference between that and the HD10GB7 is in their shape. The HD10GB7 uses a 10gb microdrive, and is much smaller than its 30gb brother. The HD10GB7 height is half the iPod Nano, while the it is a bit thicker than the Nano. I honestly think that the main difference between the HD30GB9 and HD10GB7 is that the former has 30gb capacity, while the latter is ultra portable.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #65 of 94
Quote:

The HD10 and HD30 are same generation Kenwood players. They should use the same internal amplification circuit, but the HD30 has a more advanced option, called Supreme Ex, that is said to bring out frequencies up to 20KHz from mp3 (that lose frequencies over 16KHz). How they can do, I have no clue. HD10's Supreme and HD30's Supreme Ex make the overall sound brighter (it's like an EQ preset).
I have the Hd10, and I used to have the HD20. I think the HD10 actually sounds better, with wider soundstage and slightly richer mids.

The HD20GA7 can be found for $269. The HD10GB7 can be had for $300 right now. Would you consider the sonical difference of the HD10 to be that superior to warrant choosing it over the less expensive option with more storage?

If the soncial differences (non-Equed/w.o sound presets) aren't extraordinary, then I think the GA7 is the better choice for some of us.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 94
It depends on how you rate portability. I's like when people choose the Nano over a full size ipod. What I love about the HD10GB7 is that I could carry it with a Xin Supermacro, that isn't a small an amp. The HD10GB7 is about the size of a Supermicro, the HD20GA7 and HD30GB9 are the size of a 4th gen ipod.
Also, the HD10 is true drag and drop, no need for Kenwood Media Application at all.
About sonical difference, let's put it this way: it depends on the headphone you are using. With the Etymotic ER4, the HD20GA7 sounded in the head, while the HD10GB7 sounds widely out of the head. With Shure E500 the change was less dramatic.
Seeing how far they stand from the crowd of unamped DAP, I think that at those prices they are both incredible bargains.
Also, both don't distort using the EQ, or raising the volume.

Custom equalizer-wise, from best to worst:
HD30GB9 (5 bands with switchable frequencies)
HD10GB7 (3 bands with 5 possible frequencies for each band)
HD20GA7 (no midrange boosting - only bass and treble)

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #67 of 94
Quote:

I
About sonical difference, let's put it this way: it depends on the headphone you are using. With the Etymotic ER4, the HD20GA7 sounded in the head, while the HD10GB7 sounds widely out of the head.

That says a lot about the GB7 if it's able to give Etymotics some semblance of soundstage.
basshead.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #69 of 94
How does the Kenwood rebuild the lost frequencies? I don't think frequencies from 16kHz to 22-44kHz would be the same as on wav files.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #71 of 94
I understand. So, that is why it doesn't work with .mp3 files.
A 160gb Kenwood player that plays only .wav files would be awesome.
I've read, tho, that the active Supreme Ex cuts the battery life down to 4hrs.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #72 of 94
Quote:

I understand. So, that is why it doesn't work with .mp3 files.
A 160gb Kenwood player that plays only .wav lossless would be awesome.

I think MP3 files are 44 kHz:

mp3ss5.jpg

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #73 of 94
Urgh. I got confused by the fact that equalizers on mp3 players usually reach 16KHz.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #74 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The model number listed is HD10GB7-B. I woldn't be surprised if they'll give you that instead.
biggrin.gif

The page has been updated now. Things are alright. I think I'll go bluetin, because it's cheapest and they help with warrenty. Will be sending through airmail, since that has the biggest chance of avoiding taxes. Any comments?

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #75 of 94
Awesome. I emailed them just yesterday about this issue and it's already been rectified. Just, awesome.

Steven, good luck. I'm still kind of hesitant myself due to excessive shipping costs to Asia in case the player breaks within warranty. Heck, I find that shipping from US to Canada is headache inducing.

Another thing I'm personally worry about is the lack of losless formats Kenwood supports. If only it supports FLAC...Personally did not see any posts here comparing the integrity of FLAC files of (X5; IMOD) to Kenwood's own proprietory format.

I also hope it's 'receptive' enough to respond differently to the variety of amps available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back