questions about the Hornet~
May 2, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 29
I ordered it direct from Ray. I asked for a red one but ....
frown.gif
alas .... I got a black one. (cries softly) I guess it really doesn't affect the sound all that much ...

May 2, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spyrius
I ordered it direct from Ray. I asked for a red one but ....
frown.gif
alas .... I got a black one. (cries softly) I guess it really doesn't affect the sound all that much ...

If you ordered a red one (and payed him according, as the colored ones cost more), you should get that recitfied, unless he's willing to refund you the difference.

May 2, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #19 of 29
Don't agree at all RE Hornet built with focus on bass.

With the E4c + iRiver H140, I found that I had to boost up the bass a bit and cut the treble between 1-3kHz.

With the Hornet, I was able to turn off the EQ altogether. But it wasn't more bass, it's just that the bass already in the music was just more "present", the treble was more detailed than unamped, and had more "air" about it. Showed more nuances and stuff. the mids were very good, possibly more forward than in a neutral amp. But from what I read before buying it, this is because he designed it to give off a "tube-ish" sound. Maybe this is what he meant by a "bassy" sound. It's surely centred around a strong bass presence (no bloat though, it's controlled), and a definitely personality in the mids, but not what I would call bassy. Now, this applied to all music and I listen to metal, electronica, soundtracks, classical, accoustic...

Heck.. It's sold and I'm still defending it! I'm gonna get a Gilmore Lite + DPS I think, and just a 240V equivalent of the elpac for work (I'm Aussie), if I can find it, I'll have to ask Kevin.

Nah don't worry passer, no Orpheus in the works
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm moving towards a slightly brighter sound, but still with warmth. Ideal work chain = H140 > GLite > E4C, and home should be E-Mu 0404 > Storm Digital D02 > GLite+DPS > AKG K701. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with that! 0404 is meant to be detailed, D02 meant to be slightly warm, GLite meant to be detailed > K701 is warmish = pretty balanced overall sound with good detail and good PRAT I hope!!

I can't wait to run the E4C off an amp again. and My HD650 also sounds like poo unamped (HP jack) now.

May 2, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
If you ordered a red one (and payed him according, as the colored ones cost more), you should get that recitfied, unless he's willing to refund you the difference.

The customer was charged for a black Hornet ONLY, as the colored ones are not available yet. Infact I lost $.25 in the shipping, not worth mentioning at all. Thanks for your comment my friend.
Ray Samuels

May 2, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
The customer was charged for a black Hornet ONLY, as the colored ones are not available yet. Infact I lost $.25 in the shipping, not worth mentioning at all. Thanks for your comment my friend.
Ray Samuels

Given the response of the orignal poster and given that you do list the colored Hornets on the site, one would assume that they are available. That being said, if he was charged for a black Hornet and received as such all is well indeed.

May 2, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 29
One more thing, passerby999. Find out how many hours of use your new toy has had, and if less than 300, burn it in some more before asessing the sound. This baby needs at least that much time to sound its best.

May 2, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 29
The Hornet did not strike me as an amp focused on bass... but neither did the Slam for that matter!

I think I'll be returning my SMv6 and ordering another Hornet. The SM is a great little amp, very detailed and I'm sure if I ordered enough opamps I could eventually tailor it to what I like. The Hornet just has a unique signature that I really liked... adjusting to this line out with no EQ just made things seem somewhat dryer than I was used to with my iRiver and the parametric EQ... learning experience
rolleyes.gif

edit - BRB, how do you like it with you UE-10?

May 2, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
One more thing, passerby999. Find out how many hours of use your new toy has had, and if less than 300, burn it in some more before asessing the sound. This baby needs at least that much time to sound its best.

thanks, brb~! the seller said he had the hornet for about a month, so i think i may have to let it burn in for another week or two then.
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
BRB, how do you like it with you UE-10?

The combination is pretty magic, as the Hornet has great synergy with my 10's. Tight, well defined bass, flowing midrange just dripping in sweetness, and a slightly energetic (but buttery smooth) treble. It was that last characteristic that took the longest burn-in time to show up, BTW. Up until the 250-300 hour mark, I felt the highs were just a hint on the edgy side.

May 2, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 29
It's got at LEAST a solid 250 hours.

Had it about a month.
First two weeks, during which I ran it all day while at work and each night religiously = ( 8 + 7 ) x 10h = 150h.
Then there was a 4 day long weekend where I went away = 24 x 4 = 96h.
And it was used for about a week after that as well.

I'd say it's 80-90% of it's way to the final sound. Definite improvements too btw. Out of the box it WAS forward and very agressive which detracted from any filling out of the bass and extension of the treble it may have been giving. But once it had about 10 hours on it, it started to sound really good. By 100 hours, I was like "OMG what have I been doing without an amp all this time!!!" Especially for my HD650, which I'm now selling because they simply aren't for rock/metal :p

So anyway, passer won't have much work to do, and he can enjoy it immediately, assuming he gets a line-out devide for his iPod cos I'm not sure he has one.

May 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
It's got at LEAST a solid 250 hours.

Had it about a month.
First two weeks, during which I ran it all day while at work and each night religiously = ( 8 + 7 ) x 10h = 150h.
Then there was a 4 day long weekend where I went away = 24 x 4 = 96h.
And it was used for about a week after that as well.

I'd say it's 80-90% of it's way to the final sound. Definite improvements too btw. Out of the box it WAS forward and very agressive which detracted from any filling out of the bass and extension of the treble it may have been giving. But once it had about 10 hours on it, it started to sound really good. By 100 hours, I was like "OMG what have I been doing without an amp all this time!!!" Especially for my HD650, which I'm now selling because they simply aren't for rock/metal :p

So anyway, passer won't have much work to do, and he can enjoy it immediately, assuming he gets a line-out devide for his iPod cos I'm not sure he has one.

that sounds great, rincewind, seems there's not too much left for me to do then, good for a lazy guy like me.
tongue.gif
i've got a turbodock and suppose they should work perfectly all together. can't wait another minute to try them out! feel so sorry for my wallet, why in god's name did i come here?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back