questions about the Hornet~
May 1, 2006 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

passerby999

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as I-Love-Music
hi, sorry for being such a newbie, but i really got some questions about the hornet. where can i get them? how much? how portable and good is it? thanks guys~
tongue.gif

edit*if anyone can post any pics of it, that would be great.

May 2, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
So you've finally decided on the Hornet, eh? It's a great amp, you won't be dissapointed.

hi, 2426~! glad to see you here again. yeah, i finally decided on the hornet and just got it from a headfier here for $280, what do you think?
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby999
hi, 2426~! glad to see you here again. yeah, i finally decided on the hornet and just got it from a headfier here for $280, what do you think?
icon10.gif

I think that you got a pretty good deal! As long as its in good condition. Hornets should go pretty well with Shure's, but since not many have heard the e500, I'm not sure of the synergy. It should be pretty damn good though. Ray Samuels gives top-notch service, so I wouldn't be worried. But, the most important question is.....What color did you get??????
tongue.gif

May 2, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
I think that you got a pretty good deal! As long as its in good condition. Hornets should go pretty well with Shure's, but since not many have heard the e500, I'm not sure of the synergy. It should be pretty damn good though. Ray Samuels gives top-notch service, so I wouldn't be worried. But, the most important question is.....What color did you get??????
tongue.gif

i got the black one, do colors matter anyways? well, you know what, after reading a lot of impressions posted by superguys here who had a chance to listen to the e500, i saw almost everyone suggested an amp for using with shure's new baby, and more importantly, they all had the Hornet! so that was when i decided to get my new toy.
icon10.gif

ps. some time after i get the e500 and the hornet, i'd like to arrange for a get-togethers, would you be interested? btw, i'm in NYC.
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 29
He got it from me, just waiting on Paypal to do it's thing
smily_headphones1.gif

I used the Hornet with the E4C and it was sweet as.

Now I need to decide whether to do stuff on the car, or get a GLite+DPS for combined home (with K701)/work use (E4C). I think you and I can guess which I'll end up with lol

Man... I thought u said u didn't have money passer! lol And ur getting the E500. That's gonna sound awesome! but DEFINITELY get a lineout converter thing if ur iPod doesn't have line-out.

May 2, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
He got it from me, just waiting on Paypal to do it's thing
smily_headphones1.gif

I used the Hornet with the E4C and it was sweet as.

Now I need to decide whether to do stuff on the car, or get a GLite+DPS for combined home (with K701)/work use (E4C). I think you and I can guess which I'll end up with lol

Man... I thought u said u didn't have money passer! lol And ur getting the E500. That's gonna sound awesome! but DEFINITELY get a lineout converter thing if ur iPod doesn't have line-out.

hey, ben, don't be misled by the e500, that doesn't mean i'm wealthy. as a matter of fact, i am a student, and unfortunately, a poor one. i just love music and...well, who the hell knows why i came here?!
very_evil_smiley.gif
and for your next step, don't tell me that you're getting the senn's orpheus...lol. have a nice day, ben. and i'll be waiting for your amp since this moment like a 8-year-old waiting on X'mas!
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 29
You might want to be aware that Ray Samuels designs his amps to provide better bass definition than highs definition. He told me so himself at the National Meet (actually the Friday night before the National Meet). Not that the Hornet won't do great in the highs of course, it's just that he designs around bass, as that's his sonic preference.

May 2, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
You might want to be aware that Ray Samuels designs his amps to provide better bass definition than highs definition. He told me so himself at the National Meet (actually the Friday night before the National Meet). Not that the Hornet won't do great in the highs of course, it's just that he designs around bass, as that's his sonic preference.

thanks for the information, Asr~i'll see what it can do to my new baby earphones. and i think all amps in the same price range have their own good and cons, one way or another. so as long as you like it, it'll be fine with you. i did consider a lot and have finally decided on the Hornet, suppose i'll rest my mind in peace now.
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

i got the black one, do colors matter anyways?

I found the black one a bit darker while the silver was a bit brighter and met my needs perfectly.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on a great amp.
CPW

May 2, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I found the black one a bit darker while the silver was a bit brighter and met my needs perfectly.
biggrin.gif

Congrats on a great amp.
CPW

thanks~! it seems that color does matter, somehow i think even if there is a difference, it would be tiny. am i right?
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

hi, sorry for being such a newbie, but i really got some questions about the hornet. where can i get them? how much? how portable and good is it? thanks guys~
tongue.gif

edit*if anyone can post any pics of it, that would be great.

You can order them from Ray Samuels. I think it costs $350. It's quite portable, and the performance is good as far as portable amplifiers go, though it isn't my favourite. I prefer both the PINT and the SR-71 to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back