Questions about the best solution for PC gaming and Music listenning (sound card, amp/dac, dont want plug&unplug headphone, and keep EAX/CMSS-3D)
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #16 of 42
Thanks, i will go for the NFB-15.32, unless there are other opinions. That will save my money :)

Quote:
  I was troubled by this with my old computer. I couldn't find a single sound card that would satisfy the need of 7.1 surround sound and high ohm stereo output. Then I saw this motherboard recently when I was building a new rig: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z87%20Killer/

115 SNR with 600ohm support for stereo and 7.1 rear output with DTS Neo:pC (better than CMSS3D)!! I listen to EDM 70% of time and game 30% on surround. This is absolutely an amazing value with amazing sound! Absolutely no background noise when I use my 7.1 tiamat (back 7.1) or stereo headphone for music (front stereo). Get it man, you won't regret it!

I havent many good experience with mother boards's sound, but it look pretty, you think it sound better for music than creative x-fi titanium non-hd + nfb-15.32 ?

And no, CMSS-3D is just the best for gaming.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 42

I havent many good experience with mother boards's sound, but it look pretty, you think it sound better for music than creative x-fi titanium non-hd + nfb-15.32 ?

Could the Asus's on-board audio be good and be good enough for a lot of people, chances are yes.
Would it be as good as the NFB-15.32, no.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 42

I have never had a good motherboard experience before this, never! But this is different, finally something that does both 7.1 and 600ohm with great SNR with great EMI shielding. I had an x-fi titanium years ago, it was good, but I can't say if it's better as I haven't used it for years. I bought an old school creative extigy (100SNR) as DAC for both PC and consoles 2 years ago (with CMSS), I can say Asock definitely sounded better by a mile! Way better SNR and even the backpanel 7.1 has more than enough juice to drive my 7.1 Tiamat when I use it for gaming. 

If you want to use the 600ohm front panel support though, you might want to consider getting a good PC case or a good audio front panel connector as a lot of PC cases have really mediocre to horrible front panel audio connections. 

For gaming, I don't use simulated surround as I have a 7.1 headphone as I can't stand simulated surround. But good games these days like Battlefield 4 has great sound engines that help to eliminate the need for simulated surround.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 42
I have a titanium hd and use v-moda m100's and almost exclusively listen to dance music (arty, armin van buuren, mat zo, hardwell, kaskade, the list can go on...) and everything sounds great.! I really recommend v moda m100s if you like dance music and the titanium hd uses cmss

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 42
  I have a titanium hd and use v-moda m100's and almost exclusively listen to dance music (arty, armin van buuren, mat zo, hardwell, kaskade, the list can go on...) and everything sounds great.! I really recommend v moda m100s if you like dance music and the titanium hd uses cmss

I have m100 too, and i have an old SB x-fi titanium non-HD at home. I must take amp/dac for music and films. I listen kaskade, hardwelln AvB too :wink:  . 

I will go like that :

- Gaming : Creative SB x-fi titanium (non-HD) >> optical/toslink >> amp/dac >> headphones (m100s for the moment, perhaps akg k702 or q701 or k702 65th anny in few months for gaming)

IT'S sure i'll have the cmss-3d in my headphones with that config, through dac/amp ?

- Music : PC >> USB >> amp/dac >> headphones vmoda m100     (or is stay in optical is better ? i will see myself perhaps)

I will buy Audio GD NFB 15.32 with dual WM8741, it has only good reviews. But i see the NFB 11.32, which is more details and a bit more expensive, it have one Sabre ES9018.

So for my gaming use and music EDM, i need take the 11.32 or 15.32 ? Thx

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #22 of 42
I'd use that money to get a Tiamat 7.1 for gaming. Beat any simulated surround sound for sure! And actually sounds ok in at doing stereo when all the speakers are utilized and tuned properly. I mean 1 40 mm, 2 30mm, 2 20mm drivers in ONE EAR! How fun is that!

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #23 of 42

- Gaming : Creative SB x-fi titanium (non-HD) >> optical/toslink >> amp/dac >> headphones (m100s for the moment, perhaps akg k702 or q701 or k702 65th anny in few months for gaming)

IT'S sure i'll have the cmss-3d in my headphones with that config, through dac/amp ?

- Music : PC >> USB >> amp/dac >> headphones vmoda m100     (or is stay in optical is better ? i will see myself perhaps)

I will buy Audio GD NFB 15.32 with dual WM8741, it has only good reviews. But I see the NFB 11.32, which is more details and a bit more expensive, it have one Sabre ES9018.

So for my gaming use and music EDM, i need take the 11.32 or 15.32 ? Thx

I would assume when you get the Audio-GD, you will get the TCXO upgrades.
So the 15.32 would be $255+ shipping and the 11.32 would be $340+shipping.
But which to get?????

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #24 of 42
  The X-Fi Titanium HD only uses THX TruStudio Pro in Entertainment Mode. Switch to Game Mode, and it'll use CMSS-3D Headphone instead. (You should always be in Game Mode with X-Fi cards for gaming in the first place; that's the only mode in which it'll utilize hardware sound acceleration, if called for.)

You sure about that? I thought since Vista no soundcard can do hardware acceleration and it is all done via software, but I did recently read that some soundcards can do some hardware acceleration in Win8. 

Someone else said Windows has bad sound processing. Really? Ever try wasapi? That is bit perfect so how can anyone say that? Don't believe it for a second. It is like Mac people who claim even modern Macs do graphics better than Windows, total BS.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #25 of 42
  I would assume when you get the Audio-GD, you will get the TCXO upgrades.
So the 15.32 would be $255+ shipping and the 11.32 would be $340+shipping.
But which to get?????

ok, i'll go for 15.32, if 11.32 isn't so much better. (there are 4 kinds of TCXO for audio gd, which one is right ?)

But i want to be sure to have cmss-3d and other features from sound card (titanium x-fi non hd) through the optical and dac/amp.

I have 50% people who say no, 50% who say you will have

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 42

ok, i'll go for 15.32, if 11.32 isn't so much better. (there are 4 kinds of TCXO for audio gd, which one is right ?)

But i want to be sure to have cmss-3d and other features from sound card (Titanium X-fi non HD) through the optical and dac/amp.

I have 50% people who say no, 50% who say you will have

The Creative Labs Titanium sound card can send CMSS-3D headphone surround sound thru it's S/PDIF optical output.
After 13,000 post on Head-Fi, I've never heard any different.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 42
You sure about that? I thought since Vista no soundcard can do hardware acceleration and it is all done via software, but I did recently read that some soundcards can do some hardware acceleration in Win8.   
Someone else said Windows has bad sound processing. Really? Ever try wasapi? That is bit perfect so how can anyone say that? Don't believe it for a second. It is like Mac people who claim even modern Macs do graphics better than Windows, total BS.

That's a common myth I've had to explain many, MANY times over.

It's not hardware acceleration as a whole that got removed in Vista onward, it's DirectSound3D specifically. OpenAL is completely unaffected, and this is why ALchemy, DS3DGX, 3DSoundBack, etc. work for restoring hardware acceleration to DS3D games in the first place. Think of it like the audio equivalent of 3dfx Glide.

Also, even though they claim Windows 8 has hardware sound acceleration again, it means NOTHING if they don't reimplement the DirectSound3D API, which Microsoft won't do as they've already deprecated it. Those old games are coded to use DirectSound3D (or Aureal's A3D API in certain cases, but most that support A3D also support DS3D), and they're not just gonna magically use some other new API Microsoft introduces to accelerate sound processing again.

Besides, what I've read about the new Win8 hardware audio API says nothing about 3D audio positioning. It's probably not even intended for the same purposes for which DirectSound3D was designed.

And as for bit-matched playback, WASAPI exclusive mode is one way to do it, but for X-Fi cards, Audio Creation Mode + ASIO seems to be the way to go, as the sample rate doesn't change in the control panel if I use WASAPI exclusive mode with bit-matched playback on in the drivers, while it will if I use ASIO.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #29 of 42
Have you heard of TrueAudio from AMD's new graphics card? Suppose to bring 3d audio positioning to a whole new level for games at least. I'm sure AMD or someone will release apps to use the API for music or movie audio processing.

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 42
Have you heard of TrueAudio from AMD's new graphics card? Suppose to bring 3d audio positioning to a whole new level for games at least. I'm sure AMD or someone will release apps to use the API for music or movie audio processing.

I've heard about that since the day it was announced. As someone who wanted GPU audio processing to happen since GPGPU designs burst onto the scene with the GeForce 8 Series, I say it's about time!

But I also don't want to find myself in the predicament of unable to max out the audio features in any given game because I don't have the TrueAudio DSP...or getting that DSP and then having to give up CUDA, PhysX, ShadowPlay and all those other NVIDIA-exclusive features, along with having to buy a video DAC for my GDM-FW900 because the only cards with TrueAudio support don't have RAMDACs and thus don't have VGA output at all.

That's why I'm hoping for a full-compatibility CPU-based codepath with GenAudio's AstoundSound plugin, even if it is slower and eats up a lot of CPU cycles. Nothing like PhysX, where the CPU codepath is deliberately unoptimized and the fancier effects outright require an NVIDIA GPU for games to let you enable them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back