Questions about SPECIFIC Receiver, DAC, STEREO Setup for PC.
Jul 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Radioboy86

New Head-Fier
I just bought a RX-773 NEWCASTLE SHERWOOD Receiver. Do you know what DAC it uses? 96Khz or 192Khz? 24 or 32 bit? I looked everywhere. I heard that my model is better than the cheaper RX-772 bc its 400W and has high specs. I really am confused and just want a good 2 channel stereo receiver with power for 2 JBL studio 1 180 series loud speakers (REQUIRES 90W continuous Power a piece 360W PEAK). I dont need video,HDMI or optical. at least I dont think I do. I have a MUSILAND 24/32 API supported sound card/DAC with the PCM1793 Burr Brown DAC chip. They say that my DIGITAL TO ANALOG Conversion Quality should be very high quality, very similar to SPDIF/Optical bc of my DAC. THE DAC supports 192Khz and 24/32 bit. I want to use this for my WIN 7 PC. I just need a good stereo receiver. this is all very confusing and some many people dont know what they are talking about. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 19
I just bought a RX-773 NEWCASTLE SHERWOOD Receiver. Do you know what DAC it uses? 96Khz or 192Khz? 24 or 32 bit? I looked everywhere. this model you have is similar just more featured for HDMI,VIDEO,etc functions right? I heard that my model is better than the cheaper RX-772 bc its 400W and has high specs. I really am confused and just want a good 2 channel stereo receiver with power for 2 JBL studio 1 180 series loud speakers (REQUIRES 90W continuous Power a piece 360W PEAK). I dont need video,HDMI or optical. at least I dont think I do. I have a MUSILAND 24/32 API supported sound card/DAC with the PCM1793 Burr Brown DAC chip. They say that my DIGITAL TO ANALOG Conversion Quality should be very high quality, very similar to SPDIF/Optical bc of my DAC. THE DAC supports 192Khz and 24/32 bit. I want to use this for my WIN 7 PC. I just need a good stereo receiver. this is all very confusing and some many people dont know what they are talking about. I would greatly appreciate any help!

What kind of quality is the RX773? I got one for 130 $ on ebay.

I appreciate any help. I am very new at HOME AUDIO and PC setup for DAC/Receiver stuff

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
I just bought a RX-773 NEWCASTLE SHERWOOD Receiver. Do you know what DAC it uses? 96Khz or 192Khz? 24 or 32 bit? I looked everywhere. I heard that my model is better than the cheaper RX-772 bc its 400W and has high specs. I really am confused and just want a good 2 channel stereo receiver with power for 2 JBL studio 1 180 series loud speakers (REQUIRES 90W continuous Power a piece 360W PEAK). I dont need video,HDMI or optical. at least I dont think I do. I have a MUSILAND 24/32 API supported sound card/DAC with the PCM1793 Burr Brown DAC chip. They say that my DIGITAL TO ANALOG Conversion Quality should be very high quality, very similar to SPDIF/Optical bc of my DAC. THE DAC supports 192Khz and 24/32 bit. I want to use this for my WIN 7 PC. I just need a good stereo receiver. this is all very confusing and some many people dont know what they are talking about. I would greatly appreciate any help!

The PCM1793 DAC in the sound card should be better then the one in the Sherwood receiver.
So run an analog cable from the sound card to the receiver.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Thats what I thought. I appreciate the help. I am waiting on the sherood. I really hope I get good STEREO sound with this setup. Also could you tell m if my 400W Sherwood could power 2 90W required loud speakers? they say 360W Peak?

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Thats what I thought. I appreciate the help. I am waiting on the sherood. I really hope I get good STEREO sound with this setup. Also could you tell m if my 400W Sherwood could power 2 90W required loud speakers? they say 360W Peak?

I've always assumed that most receivers can drive most speakers as long as they can do the same ohm rating (4-Ohm, 6-Ohm ,8-Ohm, etc.).
I would assume your setup would work.
Websites like AVSforum or AVforum are better websites for receiver and speaker questions.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Just unscrew the top cover and take a look. The make and number of the dac will be imprinted right on the top of the IC. Then you can google the part and you will have all the details. Once open it should be very obvious which IC is the dac. If you cannot tell then take a photo and post here I am sure someone (including myself) could pick it out from a good close up.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 19

No speaker requires 90W. Period. Your speakers handle 90W continuous and will take 360W as a peak (and they will more likely blow up at around 250W in, but don't worry, there's not a lot of consumer amps that can dish that up - let'em spend some time with an RMX5050 and we'll talk about peak ratings though...:veryevil:).

It'll work fine, but the question is more: will it sound good? And you really have to be the judge of that.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 19
I just ordered it off ebay. I got it for $130 , 99 + 30 shipped. was that a good deal? I am confused If I should have got a RX 772 with all the extras. I just want HQ Stereo sound power. I wouldnt mind a good DAC in the receiver, but i cant seem to find what DAC types these brand use. Tell me is a MUSILAND Monitor 01 US 24/32 bit API supported 192khz a good ASync USB DAC/sound card?

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 19
HEY! I appreciate that info! I have 2 of these speakers. I dont want to drive the volume up for a church or auditorium. I just want a good loud crisp receiver with a DAC for my high powered JBL STEREO setup speakers. Can a MARANTZ NR1402 50W per channel 50Wx5 (5 channels I am assuming) AV Receiver do the job and not have issues or damage my hardware? I own 2 of these Loudspeakers.

The new receiver I am looking into...

http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=avreceivers&productid=nr1402

The 2 Speakers I want the AV receiver to drive without any issues or possible hardware damage.

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/STUDIO_180_PI_EN.pdf

I read that this AV Receiver is better than the Sherwood RX 773 and could drive 2 of those JBL STUDIO 180 speakers.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 19
Would the Sherwood RX 773 be better than the Marantz nr1402? The Sherwood has 100w per channel and 400W total. The marantz nr1402 only has 50W per channel and 5 channels so i guess its around... idk 250W? this is confuuuusing hahaha I appreciate the help I really dont want to damage or overload my Receiver/amp or speakers. the JBL 180 speakers are huge and seem like they would need so much to power them. marantz nr1402 seems like it couldnt handle 2 of them. maybe I am just looking at this wrong. hmmmm? haha so confusing!

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 19
I got 98.3 dB SPL at listening postion

What is that equal to? is that loud? I am not savy at audiofile lingo. I dont wanna bust eardrums i just want a home theater in my room. haha. I only put 50W for the amp should i have put 100W because I am using 2 channel stereo? thanks so much for this tool? the link is great!

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Would the Sherwood RX 773 be better than the Marantz nr1402? The Sherwood has 100w per channel and 400W total. The marantz nr1402 only has 50W per channel and 5 channels so i guess its around... idk 250W? this is confuuuusing hahaha I appreciate the help I really dont want to damage or overload my Receiver/amp or speakers. the JBL 180 speakers are huge and seem like they would need so much to power them. marantz nr1402 seems like it couldnt handle 2 of them. maybe I am just looking at this wrong. hmmmm? haha so confusing!

Punctuate. Please. :xf_eek:

Anyways, to your questions:
1. You only count per-channel wattage because that's what each individual speaker sees. So if the receiver puts out 50W per channel (and it doesn't matter if that's into 2, or 2000, channels), you estimate at 50W into your speaker (at 88 dB/W/1M -> your distance).

2. Larger speakers are actually generally more efficient, in keeping with Hoffman's Iron Law (Hoffman is the H in KLH, and his law roughly says: efficiency, extension, and size - you get to pick two; so big and efficient, big and extended, small and efficient, small and extended, etc and the third one suffers (that's why those little "supercube" subwoofers need 1000W+ amplifiers)).

3. The NR1402 probably puts out more actual power than the Sherwood, because most manufacturer's power ratings are flat-out lies, and Sherwood is one of the worst (most of their AVRs claim 100Wx7 or something, and usually will blow up at 10Wx7 or less). Marantz is a better company to deal with for customer service as well.

4. In in a normal setting, either receiver will realistically be fine, and you aren't risking damage to the speakers. The easy way to figure this out is to look at the speakers' impedance rating, and then look at what the amplifier says it can do. Usually they're pretty explicit about the minimum impedance the amplifier can handle (there's usually big warning stickers - and we don't care about maximums, because those aren't what cause things to overheat and blow up).

I got 98.3 dB SPL at listening postion

What is that equal to? is that loud? I am not savy at audiofile lingo. I dont wanna bust eardrums i just want a home theater in my room. haha. I only put 50W for the amp should i have put 100W because I am using 2 channel stereo? thanks so much for this tool? the link is great!

98 dB is very loud. I think that site has a small list of things to compare loudness to, but the rule of thumb (which comes from OSHA and CCOHS) is 85 dB is the maximum SPL for long-term exposure, any higher and you risk hearing damage (that doesn't mean 86 dB will make you deaf instantly, but 90 dB or 100 dB constantly over long periods of time will cause noise-induced hearing-loss (NIHL)). Dolby and THX suggest calibrating to 85 dB (so "0 dB" on the volume dial is going to produce 85 dB if you're feeding a full-scale sine-wave through), and planning for 20 dB of dynamic headroom (allowing peaks up to 105 dB). A lot of people calibrate to 75 dB though, because 85 dB can get fatiguing real quick (most movie theaters, like IMAX or AMC, are calibrated to 85 dB - to give you an idea of loudness).

Try this for more:
http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.htm
and these:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9735
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/noise_auditory.html

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Glad to help! :)

$100 sounds like a very good price on that receiver too!

Additionally, note that it includes a lot of surround/processing features that will aid in building a theater setup (that the Sherwood lacks). I don't know if that model has Audyssey (I think it does), but if so, you'd probably do well to run that and let it auto-config itself. If it sounds screwed up afterwords though, you might have to tweak a few settings here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back