Questions about my TT - Pioneer PL514
May 1, 2007 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SprNtrl

New Head-Fier
Alright, I just dug my dads Pioneer Pl514 TT out from my basement to check it out, as I have a few hip-hop albums I'd like to play on it (no scratching or anything). I'm 100% new to all of this, so please bear with me lol.

First thing I noticed were the output connections. There are a left and right RCA, along with a wire that has a U shaped connector at the end, which I assume is ground. Would it be recommended to rebuild the connections so the ground is built into the plugs? I ask this becasue the plugs themselves are pretty worn, and will need to be replaced.

Also, upon reading some previous threads about a simple tt setup, there were many mentions of a phono stage. Now, is one of these units needed to play a record properly? I will be hooking the tt to my mini hifi component system that has the appropriate input connections.

The belt and stylus need desperate replacement. I've found a belt through a link in some other thread, and I plan on replacing the cart that came stock with the Pioneer with the Shure M97xE. I would like to know if it is "overkill" and if there are any opinions on it.

I already have cleaning supplies & calibration tools picked out.

Would also like to know what I should do in terms of internal maintanance on the unit, as it has been sitting for a while without use. Anything to look out for, lube, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

May 1, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprNtrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, upon reading some previous threads about a simple tt setup, there were many mentions of a phono stage. Now, is one of these units needed to play a record properly? I will be hooking the tt to my mini hifi component system that has the appropriate input connections.

Unless your amp has a dedicated phono input marked as phono then yes, a TT cartridge outputs a small yet heavily equalized signal - to get a listenable signal out you need a phono stage that has both hefty pre-amping and the inverse EQ curve (RIAA) built into its circuit. Older Amps and receivers have this built-in to their phono inputs , most modern units do not , nor do many mini systems for that matter.

Cartridge outputs are in the mV range, line level inputs such as CD , Tuner, Tape and Aux are designed to take 1 or 2 V.

May 1, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 16
It is a long list, but I shall attempt a few of them at least.

You need to fix that spade lug to the earth terminal on the phono amp you are going to have to purchase. Any phono amp worth its salt has one of those earth point. Don't even think of using the earth on the mains plug in that case. Otherwise you'll create an earth loop and get some nasty problems in due course.
Shure M97? Keep that in a secure location until you are sure you like vinyl and wish to invest in a more expensive TT. It's like wearing an expensive suit to go and play baseball.
Drop a drop of lubricating oil in that hole that the platter shaft drops into. There are special lubricants for that, but I have used a bit of the synthetic oil that goes into my car. Also lubricate the platter shaf. I use a cotton bud that I have first dipped in the oil. Don't over do it! You only want a light coating, not an oil bath.

Some motors have spots that you can put a drop of lubricating oil in, but I am not sure about your TT. The service manual might specify it, but those things cost money to download these days. I tend to clean out and lubricate the pivots on my arm as well, but that is easier said than done on most arms. If you ever have the misfortune to own an SME MKIII you'll soon find out what that syringe filled with oil is for.

Has your mini system got a set of AUX inputs? You'll need those to wire the output of your phono amp into.

May 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless your amp has a dedicated phono input marked as phono then yes, a TT cartridge outputs a small yet heavily equalized signal - to get a listenable signal out you need a phono stage that has both hefty pre-amping and the inverse EQ curve (RIAA) built into its circuit. Older Amps and receivers have this built-in to their phono inputs , most modern units do not , nor do many mini systems for that matter.

Cartridge outputs are in the mV range, line level inputs such as CD , Tuner, Tape and Aux are designed to take 1 or 2 V.

Yea, the component system does not have a phono stage built in. That got me looking, and I found the TCC TC-750LC phono preamp. Good choice?

Herandu: Yea, the mini system has AUX inputs so I'm good to go on that front. I see your point with regards to the M97. Will probably pick up a M35X then.

May 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TC-750LC is very good for the price. Comes from the same stable as the TC-7510 DAC.

How about the Hagerman Bugle. Worth the premium over the TC?

May 2, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure M97? Keep that in a secure location until you are sure you like vinyl and wish to invest in a more expensive TT. It's like wearing an expensive suit to go and play baseball.

You can pick up the Shure M97 on discount quite readily these days, for as little as 60 USD. For that kind of money it's a lovely cart and apart from the Grado black and a few Audio Technica's there isn't much choice for less than 50USD anyway.
Another option is a 2nd hand Shure from ebay. You can pick up an M75 / M92 / M95 for next to nothing and JICO in Japan make very reasonably priced replacement stylii from as little as 20USD.
Your deck is a pretty decent entry level one from the late '70s when Pioneer were the top of the shop in budget turntables so it should have a fairly well made arm and be worthy of a decent MM cart. As Herandu says I wouldn't go overboard but since the Shure is so heavily discounted it's a good option.

May 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

How about the Hagerman Bugle. Worth the premium over the TC?

I would settle for the TC-750LC. It is a very good unit that was once sold under the Audio Technica brand name.

May 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Alright cool, TCC it is. Another thing that I read was the worry of vibrations and the disruptions of the needle from said vibrations. I have a suspended timber floor, with 1/2" inch fiberboard, with 5/8" plywood on top of that, and finally 3/4" solid hardwood floor. Should I be okay to place the TT on my desk? The TT itself has nice large rubber feet.

May 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can pick up the Shure M97 on discount quite readily these days, for as little as 60 USD. For that kind of money it's a lovely cart and apart from the Grado black and a few Audio Technica's there isn't much choice for less than 50USD anyway.

A few questions...

Where is the M97 sold for that price?

What are the differences between those three similarly-priced cartridges (M97, Grado Black, AT440)?

Thanks.
icon10.gif

May 4, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 16
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...feed.SHU+M97XE

69USD was the cheapest I could find right now but I think amazon had it on offer for even less recently.

The AT is very detailed but can sound harsh and grainy in the top end unless partnered with sympathetic equipment. I find it works better on suspended subchassis decks with a quite laid back sounding phono stage personally, like you will find for instance in a Marantz reciever.
The Shure is much richer with a very warm sound some say lacking in detail in the upper registers but again in my experience it comes down to the sonic balance with the other components.
The Grado is probably closer to the Shure from what I have read but I am not too familiar with their carts as they are rarer and more expensive in Europe.
I'd say the Shure is the one to go for just because they were the market leaders at the time your deck was made so it's more likely to synergise well. Nagaoka MP10/11 would be another good choice as these work well with heavier tonearms which I think the Pioneer's at this point still favoured.

May 5, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 16
For about the same money I like the Audio Technica AT120E a little better than the Shure.Its more agressive nature does a better job of waking up the old tonearm wiring and plugs that come with vintage turntables.It has a greater fun factor in general.BTW, a TCC phono stage got pretty good reviews at TNT Audio.They said to get the most out of it you really need to get a better power supply.Even then it probably wont quite catch a Hagerman Bugle but for the money you probably can't beat it outside of a free receiver.

May 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

... I plan on replacing the cart that came stock with the Pioneer with the Shure M97xE. I would like to know if it is "overkill" and if there are any opinions on it.

I just looked into the arm mass of the Pioneer tonearm on another deck from this period for infinitesymphony and noticed yours is actually even higher at 18g so this really precludes the Shure M97 and any of the modern MM AT carts which are far too high compliance for an arm of this mass. The best option I can find is the ADC QLM 32 MKIII which is 50USD from http://www.lpgear.com/ is lower compliance suiting arms of 15-30g and was highly rated back in the days of vinyl.

Otherwise you could try and find a lower mass headshell than the standard Pioneer one on your deck which is 10.5g such as the ADC magnesium which turn up from time to time on ebay.

May 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked into the arm mass of the Pioneer tonearm on another deck from this period for infinitesymphony and noticed yours is actually even higher at 18g so this really precludes the Shure M97 and any of the modern MM AT carts which are far too high compliance for an arm of this mass. The best option I can find is the ADC QLM 32 MKIII which is 50USD from http://www.lpgear.com/ is lower compliance suiting arms of 15-30g and was highly rated back in the days of vinyl.

Otherwise you could try and find a lower mass headshell than the standard Pioneer one on your deck which is 10.5g such as the ADC magnesium which turn up from time to time on ebay.

Thanks for that information. So, I'll go ahead and get the QLM cartridge instead. If I were to get the magnesium headshell later down the road, would I be able to use the aforementioned Shure/modern MM AT carts?

I haven't done much reading on compliance, but I assume the higher the tone arm weight, the stronger the stylus has to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back