Questions about my TT - Pioneer PL514
May 8, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprNtrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that information. So, I'll go ahead and get the QLM cartridge instead. If I were to get the magnesium headshell later down the road, would I be able to use the aforementioned Shure/modern MM AT carts?

I haven't done much reading on compliance, but I assume the higher the tone arm weight, the stronger the stylus has to be?

Your current headshell is 10.5 therefore the arm on it's own is 7.5 so ideally you need a headshell around 5-6 grams. The Shure M97 with the brush down can match tonearms upto 13gs like the Rega RB250.

Compliance is about the amount of bounce in the rubber suspension which holds the cantilever, the bit the needle is attached to. Basically it pivots as the needle tracks the bumps along inside the groove and the other end has a magnet that moves inside a coil to create the electrical signal transducing vibration into pulses. (Moving coil carts have the tiny coils on the cantilever instead which is why they don't usually have a replaceable stylus).

Essentially a lower mass arm will need more bounce, a higher mass one less in order to effectively control the stylus in the groove and minimise the amount of mechanical distorion introduced into audible frequencies.

So mismatching compliance just results in more audible distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back