Questions about Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX headphones setup
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 38
Im new to massdrop so im trying to understand how it works.

So if i order the 6xx they wont ship until December?
If you didn't order them your too late as that drop has ended.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 38
One thing you said earlier is you wanted balanced inputs I think you mean balanced outputs. The 650's are not that hard to drive even at 300 ohms so I don't think balanced is a must as they play at a decent level straight from my iPhone 6S Plus. I have not heard the Jot yet it has been at a couple of meets and CanJam but I wasn't in the market for it so I didn't listen to it. Going to a meet in a couple of weeks and maybe one will show up there who knows.
The thing about different family of tubes as they were made for many different applications not just audio . Builders build a amp circuit for a certain type of tube also there is not just one type but many.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 38
If you didn't order them your too late as that drop has ended.
Nope, the drop will continue on July 10th at 6:00am Pacific time. Massdrop will be selling 10,000 more units for the same price of $199.99, and the shipping time will remain the same(December 18). I understand that for most people the shipping time is a bummer. However, I consider myself to be very patient, so I don't mind waiting. Besides, a long shipping time means that I have plenty of time to research the perfect setup. Not just for the 6XX, but for any pair of cans! I also have more time to save money. My budget now is $500, but in December it could be well over $1000. I have very little debt and a full time job, so it's possible for me to save up more money for the time being.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #34 of 38
Nope, the drop will continue on July 10th at 6:00am Pacific time. Massdrop will be selling 10,000 more units for the same price of $199.99, and the shipping time will remain the same(December 18). I understand that for most people the shipping time is a bummer. However, I consider myself to be very patient, so I don't mind waiting. Besides, a long shipping time means that I have plenty of time to research the perfect setup. Not just for the 6XX, but for any pair of cans! I also have more time to save money. My budget now is $500, but in December it could be well over $1000. I have very little debt and a full time job, so it's possible for me to save up more money for the time being.

between now and December they will be on sale for that price im sure

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #35 of 38
To quote myself on the topic of balanced:

To add to this: The original purpose of balanced audio was in studio environments with very long runs of cable that could pick up interference and noise. Balanced amps offer high CMRR (common mode noise rejection), a phenenom well illustrated by the image below:
instrument_amp_3.png

The noise in the input signal is in the same phase in both input signals, so it is cancelled out.

All of this is cool, but if the amp doesn't take advantage of these benefits, there's no point in buying a balanced amp. The Jotunheim is an amazing balanced amp that can drive anything (except maybe a HE-6 or K1000), and it's balanced. The Vali 2 is also an amazing amp that can drive lots of different headphones, and it's a hybrid, so you get the "tube sound." The Jot has more power, and it measures better, if that matters to you.
Have you ever tried the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC? If so, what are your thoughts on it? It's $2300. What does this DAC have that justifies this price tag? Schiit says that this is the "be all end all of DAC technology", but I just don't get it. What does this DAC have that lower priced DACs don't have? If every DAC was connected to the same amp and audio source, Is the sound quality of this DAC substantially superior compared to other DACs? Also, this is completely unrelated to the above questions. Can the Jotunheim drive electrostatic headphones too?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 38
There's one thing that I just realized, if I get the perfect setup(amp and DAC), there's one thing I have that will be inferior, my music source. I get all of my music from Spotify. Spotify uses OGG Vorbis format for their music, which is similar to MP3 in that it's lossy and compressed. I can change the sound quality in the settings menu to extreme, but all that does is change the bit rate. Are there any reliable online music streaming stores I can go to where I can get uncompressed lossless music, such as, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc.? I listen to mostly EDM and pop music, so my music must come from a place where EDM and pop artist upload tracks on a regular basis. Also, the music streaming store does not have to be free, but must be priced similarly to Spotify. I want the most Hi-Fi music files possible, but I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for each track.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #37 of 38
Have you ever tried the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC? If so, what are your thoughts on it? It's $2300. What does this DAC have that justifies this price tag? Schiit says that this is the "be all end all of DAC technology", but I just don't get it. What does this DAC have that lower priced DACs don't have? If every DAC was connected to the same amp and audio source, Is the sound quality of this DAC substantially superior compared to other DACs? Also, this is completely unrelated to the above questions. Can the Jotunheim drive electrostatic headphones too?
I have never personally heard a Yggy, but I probably will soon run into one at a meet. It was quite unique when it first came out, but you can now get a lot of its then-unique features in all of the Schiit multibit DACs. It is expensive because it uses expensive parts, and a lot of them, along with a bunch of other parts that cost less money. It took, quite probably, many man-hours to design it and perfect the DSP in it. (which is now in all the other schiit multibit DACs) Is all of this expensive stuff worthwhile? Well, some will say no, others will say yes. It probably does measure better than the other Schiit DACs in some areas, but does that translate into better sound? Once again, there are multiple schools of thought on that. I personally think the only way of answering these questions is through extensive blind testing, but others will disagree. Based on what I have read on forums, I have come to the conclusion that all Schiit multibit DACs sound fairly similar, getting subtly "better" as you go up the line (presumably due to the better power supplies and output stages), and are "better" than their ΔΣ (delta-sigma) counterparts. Most people even prefer the Modi MB to the Bifrost ΔΣ, and the Bifrost MB (Bimby) to the Gungnir ΔΣ. Once again, I cannot personally vouch for this assessment's validity.

The Jot cannot drive electrostatic headphones without a step-up transformer box. (say, a Woo Wee or an SRD-7) Electrostatic headphones require massive voltage swings to drive them (hundreds of volts), but being mostly capacitive in nature, only draw a few miliamps of current. Normal headphones only require a few volts, but draw a lot more current.

Tidal offers lossless CD quality streaming. It is quite popular on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back