Questions about learning to drive a stick
Jul 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #31 of 60
I wish I had a MT car to actually try. My friends don't seem to own one, they all drive automatics. And I just feel awkward asking my friend's friends, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be trying anytime soon...unless I sign up for driving school...but I would have to pay for that, and it's not a lot of alone time for me. I really want to try though...my semi-automatic 2k7 Passat is not doing me justice... =\

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, no. You don't need fixin'. That's a good looking head you have there - A study in ovate perfection. I think you're a pretty good looking character (In a platonic sense).

I can't tell if this is a good thing or not >_<;;

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Changing gears in a corner is a bad idea. You'd fail your driving test in the UK for doing it.

Unless I missed what/who you're directing this towards...changing gears in a corner has nothing to do with rev-matching or heel-toe'ing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rev matching - never heard of it, but I expect it's what I presume. Yes and no - one soon picks up the skill of getting lightly on the throttle a fraction of a second before engaging the clutch. It makes for a smoother ride for those in the car, but isn't essential. I'd say most manual drivers in the UK pick up that habit subconsciously.

Well, you know when you shift down and slip off the clutch really really fast and car shakes back and fourth and your RPM drops down really really fast? Well...rev-matching stops that. It matches your RPM based on the lower gear you are going into, so that way, it's much smoother on the transmission. It's just a matter of kicking the gas the second you shift down, the time and position of the "sink" of how far you kick the gas determines the smoothness of the rev-match.

Quote:

Hello,

I've been driving for about two years now on a automatic, and I had a few questions for people with MT cars.

1. Do you rev-match? I know a lot of people say it's redundant, and most people who drive MT cars do not, but do you? And why do you do/do not? Of course if you don't know what rev-matching is, don't worry about it.

Be to be honest, I do. All the time to tell you the truth. And yes, like many have mentioned it here, it's extreme waste of gas. The reason why I do it all the time was that I absolutely love driving aggressively, well definitely not to the point where it is reckless, but I can't get enough of the rev-matching sound. And at one point, I had a straight-pipe on my car, and the exhaust would spit out fire when I rev-match or heel-toe. My stock is back on now, the straight-pipe drove me insane, I would have head-aches every time I drive....and god, it was so embarrassing when I went out with girls. Not just because I love aggressively that I would rev-match but because it helps you lower your gears with ease so that you ready for the turn and gives you a better power coming out of the turn. And I feel that helps in commuting. I mean, I just hate having to kicking the gas or easing off the clutch when you put your car back in gear...I hate that....

Quote:

2. For drivers of modern cars, do you double clutch rev match? I know it further reduces strain on the syncromesh, that it's really complicated, and that very few MT drivers use this method, but I was wondering if it's worth it to learn it if I'm only hoping to drive modern cars.

Nope, and no, you shouldn't bother with this technique, especially with the new MT cars.

Quote:

3. For people who do rev-match, how long did it take for you to get it down to the point where you can do it with just the engine sound and not looking at the tachometer? I just wanted to get a range.

What do you mean? Like rev-matching without looking at the tack? It took me a while, probably a few months to fully master it. It's scary because you obviously don't want to rev-match too high and blow up your engine.

Quote:

4. I don't actually own a MT car or know anyone who has one, so what would be the best way to go about learning how to drive a manual? I would like driving school to be the last resort...but it seems like I have no choice. Anyone wanna teach me? =p

I'm willing to help you, where exactly is Morro Bay? I live in the Bay Area and I wouldn't mind teaching you manual using my car....just know that I have a three strikes rule, three stalls and you're out for good.

Quote:

5. Just out of curiosity, does anyone use heel and toe on a daily basis on a regular commute, or use it at all? (Excluding track-goers)

Yes for commuting, there's freeway on-ramp that I would run up to about 55mph in 3rd and heel-toe back down 2nd at around 42mph, roughly halfway through I would gradually accelerate out of the turn. By the time I am out of the turn, I'm running around 60mph, perfect for merging into freeway. I used to heel-toe a lot more when I would drive on the mountain roads, it's where rev-matching and heel-toe'ing is more applicable and a lot more f'ing useful. I don't know about anybody here, but there's a certain joy that I get every time I hear the engine "vaaaaROOMmmmmm...." I love that to death, especially when there's a "POP!!!" and your exhaust muffles and hums loudly as your RPM drops. No matter how expensive gas will be, I won't ever stop rev-matching or heel-toe'ing, I just like it too much. And..omg...don't get me started with how exhilarating when just before you enter a turn, you heel-toe smoothly and swing your car in harder than you should so that it begins to oversteer just a tad bit so that you wouldn't understeer and then gas out of that..when every part of taking that turn smooth..oh man, it's orgasmic. It's pure joy and it pushes my adrenaline to the max and I suppose it's something that true enthusiasts can understand. When you use techniques like these on mountain roads, it feels so good that I feel like I'm a part of the road and that I'm just flowing through it smoothly. I pretty much developed this habit when I had watched in-car rally videos (from the 80s, back when cars were fully manual) religiously for hours and hours.

If you were to practice any of this, do it in a parking lot. That's where I learned to drive manual, rev-match, heel-toe, double clutching, clutch kicking, handbraking, and emergency over/under-steer counter-steering. I hope this post doesn't make me the head-fi's driving lunatic.

NOTE: Never change gears while turning, it alters the car's momentum which throws you off balance and that can result in oversteer or understeeer, or just slower time. The only time you can/should change gear while turning is if you want to shift the momentum so that you oversteer to make it easier for you to exit the turn while at a higher RPM, giving you more torque so you can exit out of the turn faster.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 60
Let me see...
1. Yes, most of the time. Especially when I shift down.
2. No. Because there are synchronization rings in new gear boxes, so I don't find the need to do so.
3. 15 minutes or so.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I missed what/who you're directing this towards...changing gears in a corner has nothing to do with rev-matching or heel-toe'ing.

Nothing to do with heel toe - which I'd not recommend anyway. Rev matching is pretty much a moot point in most modern cars too, unless your changing up or down more than one gear.

No, I was suggesting that removing power from the driving wheels then reapplying it (ie using the clutch) whilst cornering is a pretty good way, especially in less than optimal driving conditions, to lose lateral grip. Not as much as braking, but for an inexperienced driver, it could be almost as "exciting".

Plus of course, both hands on the wheel can be a big plus on some corners - feed the wheel, remember
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 60
I feel your frustration Meloncoly. My dad just bought a six speed super-charged corvette, paid the insurance so I can drive it... and won't let me learn to drive MT on the corvette! So I looked around to see if we could rent a manual or something but NO ONE has one. I may have to wait forever I feel. Or I might read up online then just take the corvette and learn as I go... OK probably not. It does sound fun though. I never wanted to really drive stick but everyone I know who does swears by it and would never go back.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #36 of 60
He brought you insurance so that you can drive it but he won't let you at the moment because you can't drive stick?

That sucks...learn MT man, it's fun.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing to do with heel toe - which I'd not recommend anyway. Rev matching is pretty much a moot point in most modern cars too, unless your changing up or down more than one gear.

No, I was suggesting that removing power from the driving wheels then reapplying it (ie using the clutch) whilst cornering is a pretty good way, especially in less than optimal driving conditions, to lose lateral grip. Not as much as braking, but for an inexperienced driver, it could be almost as "exciting".

Plus of course, both hands on the wheel can be a big plus on some corners - feed the wheel, remember
smily_headphones1.gif

Throttle lift over steer can be a nasty thing if you don't expect it.(Let alone intend for it happen.)

In one of the Tekademiks videos(It may of been on the Gumball 3000) in the beginning they show what looks like some home video footage of some guy in a civic going through a turn from outside of the car and well he lifted off the throttle and the rear swung out and he crashed.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #38 of 60
@m11a1: Morro Bay is in Central California, that's near the college I'm going to currently. I will be back in SF at the end of July, but your three strikes rule scares the **** out of me >_<;; I'm not too confident that I would not stall less than three times.

Thanks for the information though. It was a long read but a very informative read.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #39 of 60
Manual isn't all that hard. I was so nervous when I first learned but after about five minutes I thought "Wow, this is so much easier than I thought!"

A side question (no hijack intended) - To all you MT drivers: I've been reading on this thread and I'm worried that I have been getting into 1st wrong all along.. I learned to rev to maybe 1500 - 1750 RPM while letting the clutch out, but from what I've seen on here someone said that the correct way is to let the clutch slightly engage (get the car creeping) first and then give the gas and let out on the clutch. I have also heard from others that "creeping" the car w/o giving it gas is not good.. How do you get into 1st?

Also, to the person that posted about the dad buying a Corvette and insurance for you to drive, but he won't let you learn on it.. If your dad has the money for that, I bet he has enough money to get some used beater car on craigslist for a grand and you could learn on that.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #41 of 60
have never driven a automatic and nevr really want to, the lack of control really irritates me, i learnt to drive in a manual, always had manuals, they are far more fun, rev control, gear control, esp for overtaking, drop 1/2 gears then give it some!

also country roads are so fun, down shifting as you slow down for a corner apex, the soon as you can, back on the throttle, just dont put on the throttle until you dont have to take it off [while cornering]

when i change gear, normal road, i release the accelerator and push down on the clutch at the sam time, change gear quick as i can, and the instant the stick is in its slot the clutch is comming up as the accerator is going down, to much and you wheel spin, = poor driving, the trick is to pull away as fast as you can without wheel spin,

damn i love driving a manual so much!

i also do not use the rev counter,

why do americans tend to drie autos, uk most have manuals by far

can someone explain rev matching?

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Manual isn't all that hard. I was so nervous when I first learned but after about five minutes I thought "Wow, this is so much easier than I thought!"

A side question (no hijack intended) - To all you MT drivers: I've been reading on this thread and I'm worried that I have been getting into 1st wrong all along.. I learned to rev to maybe 1500 - 1750 RPM while letting the clutch out, but from what I've seen on here someone said that the correct way is to let the clutch slightly engage (get the car creeping) first and then give the gas and let out on the clutch. I have also heard from others that "creeping" the car w/o giving it gas is not good.. How do you get into 1st?

That all depends on what car you are in. With my little Fiat with a 1.1 liter engine I have to rev it a bit while starting in first. Same in my dads mazda 6 2.3 liter. It simply does not have enough torque. If you drive a diesel you just ease off the clutch and it begins to drive.

The amount of revs need to get going in 1st varies a lot from car to car and engine to engine.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

I have also heard from others that "creeping" the car w/o giving it gas is not good.. How do you get into 1st?

List of things that are hard on the Flywheel, Clutch, Throwout Bearing.

1) Creeping is more or less slipping the clutch this causes wear and heat. More or less Creeping around everywhere will end up with a dead clutch sooner than you expected

2) Holding the clutch in at a stop light. This puts good wear on your throwout bearing. If you have a constant spinning one or a stationary one it puts heat, and stress on the bearing to keep the clutch dis-engaged for a entire stop light. So whenever you are at a light waiting drop it into N.

3) This one isnt really bad for your clutch but more so of the snychros and gears. Going downhill in N and then dropping it back into gear while still going downhill at a good speed. This can explodezor your snychros and gears. to explain it short and quick more or less assume you are going 45 down that hill. Tires are going 45x2. Diff is going 45x2x(final drive ratio). So then dropping it back in you have a 45x2x(final drive ratio)x(gear ratio). More or less that final number is what you just made everything spin up to from a stop.

4) Clutch dropping... this causes faster wear, can hurt the gears in a tranny, can hurt the diff, can glaze the flywheel, you know what it does if you do it.

5) Power shifting. This just hurts everything but is so fun =P

and to answer your question. To get it going you give it gas as you release the clutch(aka let the pedel out till you feel it just start to engage then give it gas slowly as you keep letting it out you dont want to hear the revs go up and the car not really move that is just slipping the clutch more). Matters on the power of the car you might have to rev it more than others matters on the incline you are in or how fast you wanna get going but in a perfect world you would give it gas as you release the clutch. In my case with a 6lb flywheel and not much low end torque i gotta get it in the 1200-1400rpm range to get the car moving.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

"creeping" is the actually correct way of driving manual in 1st gear. It is also the best method for your clutch otherwise if you give gas while trying to let the clutch engage, the clutch will just wear out faster. As you get better at driving manual, you won't rely on the RPM to tell you when to shift or so fourth. You will start to understand when to shift, engage clutch, and whichever based on the sound and feel of the car.

Well, it's only really okay if you gas evenly the second the car starts "creeping" otherwise you will wear out the clutch badly if you "creep" without applying the gas.

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do americans tend to drie autos, uk most have manuals by far

Lazy, easier to drive, hills? who knows but now most cars are coming with Auto as they give better power to the car and better gas mileage now with CVT's and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back