Questions about HD600/650 and amps relating
Jun 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dhp1161

New Head-Fier
whats are the big differences between the two phones?
whats the best amp for the HD600's in the $150 and under range?

thank you
darthsmile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 8
dhp1161, welcome to head-fi.

If you go in the full-size headphone forum and do a search, you'll find numerous threads answering your exact question in detail.

As far as amps go, I'd check out desktop amps before portable for those specific headphones, unless you absolutely need a portable. You can check in the full-size amp forum as well for a lot of good recommendations.

Happy listening.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the differences are subtile and for the amp i'd recomand the meier headsix
wink.gif

it has a lot of power to drive those senns
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't agree with you.

Though the differences have been covered by a lot of members, in a nutshell, I found the HD-600 to be more neutral, a little brighter and slightly grainier in the highs. The HD-650 is smoother, darker and groovier.

I owned a HeadSix for awhile. Its output is wholly inadequate for the HD-600 and HD-650. It made the Senns sound flat, lifeless, sterile, bland, and veiled. After spending 20-30 hours tryingto give the HeadSix a fair chance, I shelved it and eventually traded it.

If you're going to buy a full sized Sennheiser, skip the portables. I've listened to a few and none of them can swing the power of an amp that plugs into the wall. For amps under $150, the PreSonus HP4 lists at $100 and has plenty of power to fully drive Senns. You might also want to consider a vintage receiver. There are many out there, from free up to $100, that will give you adequate power to drive Senns.

You're probably going to get a few comments about "snobbishness" and "elitism" towards portable amps, mostly because I own and have built a few expensive ones.

That's nonsense.

If I were a starving student again, I'd go straight for a vintage receiver. I'd pick one out of a dumpster even. Actually, I have pulled receivers out of the trash and rebuilt their power supplies to get them working again.

Given the choice between a 30 year old, non-functioning box out of the trash or a shiny new $500 wonderbox portable, I'll pick the trash. More power, better sound, more enjoyment, more features (FM tuners and phono stages are handy), and a lower cost.

It's not snobbery, it's being practical.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Uncle Erik is the King of rationality in this forum, he is my hero!

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I am with 'Uncle Erik'.
The difference between the HD600 and the HD650 is not subtle. The difference is highly noticeable imo. The HD600 seems brighter and more neutral, while the HD650 is have more punchy and with less treble sparkle.

As for amplification it seems like you have already posted a new thread.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 8
A vintage receiver in good working order is cool -- lights, dials, knobs -- very cool. I bought a Sansui 8080 for $175 (craigslist) although I only use it with speakers.

As already mentioned, finding a $150 amp to do justice to HD600 is not easy. At that price, a used DIY amp is the best bet for a desktop amp. With some luck, you could probably find a used Millet Hybrid or CK2III for close to $200. The HD600 will scale, and I've not heard anything make the HD600 sing like the Beta22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back