Questions about Grado ra1/rs1/gs1000
May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

perca

New Head-Fier
These questions were originally posted in another thread, but I've moved them to a separate thread:

Hi. Could someone with experience of both gs1000/rs1 please give me some advice?
I'm looking to get rs1+ra1 or perhaps the gs1000. My source most of the time will be an iPod classic 120GB. I currently own sr125, and I'm quite happy with it but would like to get something better.
- Will the gs1000 work well with just the iPod or would I need an amp (making the total pricetag quite hefty)
- Would rs1+ra1 be a better choice?
- Should I go for the "i-version" of rs1/gs1000? That is, is really i=improved?
I listen to mostly to rock, jazz, blues.
Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

So far I've been given the advice to go for rs1. And "CDBacklash" told me not to get the ra1, so I asked (I have no experience with headphone amps):

Can I ask why not? Would the rs1 be just fine without it, or is it another amp that would work better with rs1?

Feedback from people with experience with these products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
normal_smile .gif

May 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 27
RA1+RS1 will keep you satisfied for a while, however this is much dependable of your source in the first place. If your source would be iPod only, don't bother with wasting your money on RA1, imo. I would say, get some cash together and buy some tube amp for RS1. But if you are not willing to make such step, go and find some used EC/SS amp ECSS However I never tried one I do read a lot of good things about using it with Grado headphones, RS1 included. Used goes for like USD 350 and can be found up here ones in a while. Be aware that there are 2 differ models, first and second generation, where the second is upgraded version or something like that.
I am not a fan of RA1 at all, so that's why I think you will be wasting your money. The most issue I had is that RA1 couldnt give me that richness where RS1 are knowing for. I did own RA1 which works on battery, not AC, so, thats could make some difference to, but anyway, you are not getting my vote for it, sorry...

May 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 27
Another thing, which could be a nice alternative, is to buy some portable amp with DAC, so you can use it outside and from your PC or notebook. Not sure which budget you are having, but if you choose RS1, you may want to check some Go-Vibe Magnum or even Petite I own to go with it. Petite goes for USD 195 new shipped and Magnum for USD 349. I just find out that there is a new one coming, Vulcan for USD 379, which could be a great choice to, check it out Uncle Wilson's Superstore - Where you can find your sound
There are other options to, but for the money, its hard to beat Go Vibe, imo.

May 11, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 27
Thanks Blackmore.
I'm pretty sure about the rs1 now after the feedback I got and browsing this forum.
The Go-Vibe amps looks interresting. Have you tried them together with the rs1?

May 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 27
I would vote for the RS-1s, by quite a margin over the GS1000s - based on my experience with both. Though, I have to admit, I didn't keep the GS1000s long enough to really evaluate them.

I found the GS1000s to be... just way to distant and weak sounding. And they were too heavy, and kept sliding down and off, which seemed to be the result of their huge pads, and weak clamping force.

They did sound much better when I pressed them closer to my ears - more like the RS-1s. I didn't want to adjust the headbands, because I didn't want to damage them - I had them as demos.

I didn't keep them long enough to burn them in - but, I don't think burn in would have made the difference.

I don't know whether any type of "mods" improve them - make them sound as good as the RS-1s... but... in an effort to determine that, I've just asked that question in a new thread - especially in the light of the new PS1000s, which will soon be available, which I expect will have the same limitations, because of the huge pads, weak clamping force and weight.

With the right set up the RS-1s sound GREAT! In fact, with the right set up, burn in, and the "tap mod" to the stock bowl pads, I think they may sound as good as any phones I've tried, maybe a bit better. Though, I admit, its a close call, and my opinion varies a wee bit from day to day. They may not be as GREAT as the K1000s (with the right set up) - but, they do sound GREAT - especially for jazz, rock, blues, country, and anything acoustic - which, by the way, seems to be the "preponderance of opinion" on these forums, by a fair margin.

May 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 27
The only one I tried is the one I own, Petite, and he sounded very well. I like the DAC slightly better. Its quite punchy amp with nice warm touch and good bass response, not very refined, but once again, for such one you need to think of USD500+ budget, which for me no go situation anyway. You can send the mail to UncleWilson and ask him about Magnum, which I assume would do better job, giving you, perhaps, that extra refinement and better bass control or better control overall. Actually I owned several Go Vibes: GoVibe5, GoVibe6, GoVibe7 and now GoVibe Petite DAC version and to tell you the true, they all did great job. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to convince you to buy one, just tell you what I think of it. There are other options, so, check it or start a thread on portable amps section about it, if you like.

Check this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...-vs-d1-287689/

And here is another one http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ac-amp-324577/

Quote:

Originally Posted by perca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Blackmore.
I'm pretty sure about the rs1 now after the feedback I got and browsing this forum.
The Go-Vibe amps looks interresting. Have you tried them together with the rs1?

May 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 27
Alternatively you may wanna consider RS1 with RSA Predator. The are number of units up for sale at the sale section. I am satify with the 2 pairing together.

I used to owned a GS1K a while back and sold it off due to its distane type listening. RS1 is always a better choice with other amps be it portable or desktop.

May 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 27
Get a better source, then a better amp. I just got a Ear+ HD recently for my RS1 and from the iPod they sound utterly crap. Which is why I'm on the hunt for a better source. I expect no less than a huge jump in SQ.

A friend once told me, "how deserving is your source of that amp?"

May 11, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 27
I currently own both the RS-1 and GS-1000 and in the past an RA-1. When I had the RA-1 I used it with 325i. IMO the GS-1000 is the better phone however it takes a lot of power to properly drive it. I don't think the RA-1 is up to the task. The RS-1 should work well with the RA-1, but I do agree with what has been posted before me, a tube amp is the best compliment to the RS-1.

May 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 27
I have used my RS-1s with a portable Graham Slee Voyager which yielded good results. I have even enjoyed RS-1s straight to my laptop as well.

However, RS-1s deserve a great amp. RS-1s and Melos are a great combination and I am currently enjoying the combo now. I have auditioned RS-1s with a Zana Deux and a WA6SE maxxed. They sounded wonderful as well.

May 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 27
To be honest, I don't think you need to upgrade for now given your source.

An RS1 or GS-1000 and a fine amp will simply expose how "good" your source is.

If you don't have the budget for sources upgrade, the better headphone may bring you more dissatisfaction than satisfaction.

I personally like GS-1000 better because it's natural sound, but GS-1000 requires more from the amplification and source.

As for the amplification for GS-1000, I like RA1's sound, but it is not very powerful.
It's not a problem for CD-player (not portable) or other dedicate source, but would post a problem for portable source like mp3 player.
For example, you may turn both your ipod and RA1 to the maximum volume and find the sound is not loud enough.

RS1 may be a easier solution for you, but I'll say enjoy your current setup until you can afford an upgrade including a proper source.
Why waste your precious time and ears for running in those "should be great" headphones on a not even acceptable set up..

Quote:

Originally Posted by perca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These questions were originally posted in another thread, but I've moved them to a separate thread:

Hi. Could someone with experience of both gs1000/rs1 please give me some advice?
I'm looking to get rs1+ra1 or perhaps the gs1000. My source most of the time will be an iPod classic 120GB. I currently own sr125, and I'm quite happy with it but would like to get something better.
- Will the gs1000 work well with just the iPod or would I need an amp (making the total pricetag quite hefty)
- Would rs1+ra1 be a better choice?
- Should I go for the "i-version" of rs1/gs1000? That is, is really i=improved?
I listen to mostly to rock, jazz, blues.
Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

So far I've been given the advice to go for rs1. And "CDBacklash" told me not to get the ra1, so I asked (I have no experience with headphone amps):

Can I ask why not? Would the rs1 be just fine without it, or is it another amp that would work better with rs1?

Feedback from people with experience with these products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
normal_smile .gif

May 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 27
I've had a couple of rigs over the past few years, but I'm actually most satisfied with my current one. The RA-1 goes from being a nice looking but overpriced amp to an absolute stunner when an RS-1 is plugged in. The two are incredibly well matched, and I haven't heard anything that compliments it as well. I have not, however heard the MapleTree Ear+ HD though. That's something I'd like to investigate in the future.

And yeah, as soon as you step into the amp field you need to simultaneously consider a good DAC. If indeed you are hunting for synergy, I strongly suggest a Headroom DAC. Their amps don't mate particularly well with Grados, but I really like the sound of their DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back