Questions about DAC-1 PRE
Sep 26, 2008 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hunterxhunter

New Head-Fier
Hi,everyone.
I'm going to get Sennheiser HD650,so I want to upgrade my computer audio system at the same time. I find out the Benchmark DAC-1 PRE has pre-amp,DAC,and headphone amp three functions,really impress me! But I have a few questions about it:
1.Which way I can get better sound, I directly use USB to connect my computer without the soundcard or use coaxial cable connect with my sound card?
2.If I upgrade my sound card, can I get better sound from the DAC-1?
3.Since the DAC-1 PRE is $1500,should I get a AV amplifier better than it in this price?
Hope you can help me to answer them,thank you very much!

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 10
1) Depends on how good your soundcard is. Also DAC1 resamples USB so it's not a bad idea to use it.
2) See above.
3) AV amplifier?

Note also that although the DAC1 is regarded as a nice DAC, I won't trust it to do a good job as a headphone amp, but than again, I don't trust any DAC to have a good enough headphone amp in it.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Although there seems to be a strange trend of people recommending tube amps for HD650, I'll never understand that, and have always recommended a clean and clear solid-state amp with high voltage swing.

What's your budget?

In general, I like the PPAv2+STEPS ($250-$300) with HD650 as well as CKK-III(~ $200). Dynalo ($250-$300) was also quite nice but voltage swing isn't as huge. Not that it's a bottleneck, it sounds very good, just theory if you want REALLY loud. Prices are for "average" to "nice" builds. +/- for maxed out or cheap builds.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Get the DAC and headphones, worry about an amp later or you'll never really appreciate if it makes a difference. Bear in mind that the DAC1 has limited resolution via USB, whereas the other inputs will provide 24/192 if necessary.

Your questions seem a little off the mark TBH - why are you asking about an AV receiver in place of a DAC?

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget?...

Maybe under $400...I see many headphone amps are very expensive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the DAC and headphones, worry about an amp later or you'll never really appreciate if it makes a difference....why are you asking about an AV receiver in place of a DAC?

I think so, I will put amp at last. I'm not sure if the AV receiver can do the DAC's work...

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 10
1) dac1 pre, IMHO is optimal being fed straight from USB. forget out of a sound card, the dac1 pre is a high quality external sound card in its own right, dont add in another link in the chain with lower quality components inside.

2) see above

3) upto you, the pre is versatile and high quality you get an audiophile solution and a AV style functions all rolled into one, whereas i am betting a vanilla AV receiver wont have decent audio based parts of the same standard!

if you are using a mac, any spdif output is derived from the USB chip anyway, so best to go straight from usb, save any additional low level conversion, over optical out.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Fwiw, my 2 cents as a very new Dac 1 Pre owner is to echo what Quaddy and poo above said.

For myself, the jump from M-audio 24/96 + a nice Tangent built Meta42 to a setup where my PC feeds the Dac 1 thru USB and using the built in amp has been eyeopening to say the least.

IMO you may find that the built in amp is no slouch, but I couldn't say for sure until I have an opportunity to try other amps. It seems to be much better than the Meta for sure, or at leasts sounds better.

Note to self: see how the meta sounds out of the dac 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back