questions about cmoy portable amps
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
So where do you get cmoy amps these days? Also, what are the different kinds out there? Havent really been interested in amps but Id like something small if I am to get the hifiman re262 eventually. What would pair well with it?

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 20
I went JDS because it's a legit website, i wasn't comfortable buying something from some dude on ebay.....

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 20
I had the same dilema, this is how I ended up at BSG:

I first considered Fred_Fred2004 (price is nice and pcb's look very tidy) but when I asked for some additional information about some of his offerings on Ebay I did not get very satisfactory answers.

I did not consider JDS because of the bass boost option. IMHO there is no place for that in a proper audio component.

BSG is currently building one to my wishes (plain metal tin, no led and matched to my headphones impedance and efficiency). Communication so far is excellent!

Quote:
Any of the three are good, you won't be disappointed. Also, JDS sells on ebay too.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 20
That's the good thing about multiple builders to choose from. I am sure all 3 of them build fine amps, I can't audition them all but I have my reasons to pick BSG.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
I had the same dilema, this is how I ended up at BSG:

I first considered Fred_Fred2004 (price is nice and pcb's look very tidy) but when I asked for some additional information about some of his offerings on Ebay I did not get very satisfactory answers.

I did not consider JDS because of the bass boost option. IMHO there is no place for that in a proper audio component.

BSG is currently building one to my wishes (plain metal tin, no led and matched to my headphones impedance and efficiency). Communication so far is excellent!

After reading about BSG's customer service and attention to detail, I also want to see what he can do. How did you contact him? PM? Or does he work through ebay or something?

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 20
i received a jds lab cmoy after a couple weeks of research. john seaber of jds labs emailed back and forth with me, and gave me sound advice without any commitment to buy his product. he was fantastic and a pleasure to deal with. on top of that his product is great. having a bass boost option is not a good reason not to buy a product, you can always leave it off. for $60 bucks its great, and definitely worth every penny

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 20

After reading about BSG's customer service and attention to detail, I also want to see what he can do. How did you contact him? PM? Or does he work through ebay or something?

He does not have anything listed on ebay at the moment but will probably list again shortly. when I pm'd him through ebay he said he took a week off but did not mind building just one this week.

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 20

He does not have anything listed on ebay at the moment but will probably list again shortly. when I pm'd him through ebay he said he took a week off but did not mind building just one this week.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 20
Just recieved my BSG Cmoy. I absolutely love it.

It has an additional input for line level sources which appears to be a great match for my USB DAC.

Nice open and neutral non-tiring sound.

My only other headphone amp is a bravo tube/mosfett amp so my frame of reference is insufficient for a review but I can say it blows the bravo away in terms of fidelity.

It seems to be perfectly matched to my sources and headphones as the sensible range on the volume knob is about 90%

Highly recommended!

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 20
Another vote for JDS. I just ordered the PCB and a few components from him and built my own, but the service was prompt and professional. The amp sounds great too. I used a pot for the bass boost instead of a switch. Honestly, I barely use the feature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back