Questions about all sorts of cables
Nov 23, 2004 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Which do you prefer:

1. Stick to one company or brand name of cables for your entire AV rig?

2. Mix and match different brand name cables from different cables in your entire AV rig?

WHY?

I am asking you these questions because I don't think it is discussed enough. If you take a look at my signature and profile, I mix and match but I'm beginning to question my decision. Sure, it's nice to be able to mix and match, but does that lead to rather unpredictable results in terms of finding that right match of strengths and weaknesses with different cables? Does it drive you nuts and make you antsy?

I got to say it: I think that it's time that I stick to one company and one brand name of cables. I have very little experience with cables, but I do trust one company: Cardas Cable.

I'm thinking about selling my PS Audio xStream Plus AC cord. I might be able to swing another Cardas Golden Reference Power cord by the end of this year, but it will take me time. I want to concentrate on sticking to one company and the same lineup of cables within that company's offerings because I believe that it is a far simpler and more consistent solution to achieving a truly musical reference system. I don't trust cable companies all that much. Why is it that new cables come out with all sorts of gizmos and gimmicks every fiscal year? Has signal communication changed that much within one year?! Why do I need batteries attached to my cables?!

I digress. I want to know your opinions on this matter. Please vote and provide your opinions. I'd like to hear the "cable gurus" chime in on this one.

Nov 23, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Welly,
I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.
"unpredictable results in terms of finding that right match of strengths and weaknesses with different cables"
AND
"I want to concentrate on sticking to one company and the same lineup of cables within that company's offerings because I believe that it is a far simpler and more consistent solution to achieving a truly musical reference system."

I totally agree.

You also questioned why new cables and gizmos come out every year? Probably to prey on the audiophile desire to have the latest and greatest. I doubt there are that many wonderful breakthroughs so often.

You mentioned that you trust Cardas (as do I). I wanted to point out that Cardas is one of the few companies that has maintained the same products for many years in a row.
Why mess with success?

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm beginning to put enormous trust in Cardas Cable nowadays. A key question I ask about any cable manufacturer is how long have you guys been in the business and how many products do you create each year? Then, I do simple math: cable company's years in business divided by cables introduced by fiscal year.

When x cable manufacturer begins to approach closer to a 1:1 ratio, I look elsewhere. They're ripping off people or they're still experimenting with business models. They aren't music lovers first and foremost and last. They aren't even audiophiles if their stuff doesn't generate extreme professional / customer praise and adulation for the same product for years. They're just sharks.

Have you realized how nearly impossible it is to find a used pair of Cardas Golden Reference Power or Golden Reference RCA interconnects on Audiogon or Videogon? They don't come up very often. That says something. It says a lot.

My PS Audio xStream Plus AC cord is really nice. Maybe its' time is up.

ToddR: do you stock the Cardas Golden Reference Power cord with the second generation filter? ToddTheVinylJunkie.Com stocks it but I want to spread the wealth among our supporters.

[size=xx-large]I AM NOT GOING THROUGH THE SAME BULL THAT I SURVIVED WITH HELLOSIMPLYMUSIC!!![/size]
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 19
The main reason many people mix/match cables is because of cost of buying entire set of matched cables for system:
ICS + Speaker Cables + AC cords
This can cost a substantial amount of money and would make it less likely anyone would want to try various cable designs if they felt the need to match all cables to switch. I also believe many companies are better at making certain type of cable and not equally strong at all three types. It does make the process simplier to just buy one companies cables, and then forget about trying all the newest and greatest new cables that come out every week (the cable merry-go-round)

You could ask same question about buying matched audio gear from same company:
CDP + Preamp + Amp
Same logic applies and same answer as cable question as to why many people mix and match.

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
The main reason many people mix/match cables is because of cost of buying entire set of matched cables for system:
ICS + Speaker Cables + AC cords
This can cost a substantial amount of money and would make it less likely anyone would want to try various cable designs if they felt the need to match all cables to switch. I also believe many companies are better at making certain type of cable and not equally strong at all three types. It does make the process simplier to just buy one companies cables, and then forget about trying all the newest and greatest new cables that come out every week (the cable merry-go-round)

You could ask same question about buying matched audio gear from same company:
CDP + Preamp + Amp
Same logic applies and same answer as cable question as to why many people mix and match.

DarkAngel:

Thanks for chiming in. I hear you, but please answer me this question: how much technological change results in a more musical reference system in the source, amplifier, pre-amplifier components as compared to cable design?
confused.gif

I'm truly curious about it.
cool.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 19
I've learnt to stick to one single company for sanity(kimber kable). Well built, and they don't make ridiculous voodoo claims. Notice you don't often see them for sale either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 19
I try to stick with the same. Does it make a difference? I have no idea.
My latest read on the matter is The Truth About Interconnects and Cables.
Is it correct? I have no idea.

Glad I could help.
wink.gif

Edit:I recently did an AB of the same cable, one with Scosche RCA connectors and the other with bullet plugs. I prefered the bullet plugs sound.

I don't know what the truth is regarding cables.

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu

ToddR: do you stock the Cardas Golden Reference Power cord with the second generation filter? ToddTheVinylJunkie.Com stocks it but I want to spread the wealth among our supporters.

Welly,
Please send me an E mail or PM about sales questions.
icon10.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth

Glad I could help.
wink.gif

Edit:I recently did an AB of the same cable, one with Scosche RCA connectors and the other with bullet plugs. I prefered the bullet plugs sound.
I don't know what the truth is regarding cables.

Is that a rhetorical question or are you serious?
k1000smile.gif

Many people choose to dogmatically believe the the line of thinking in that linked article, blah blah blah (all cables sound the same) ......great for them, get all your audio gear/cables at Radio Shack or Best Buy and be happy.

I will do my own listening in my own system and make my own evaluations.

Quote:

DarkAngel:
hanks for chiming in. I hear you, but please answer me this question: how much technological change results in a more musical reference system in the source, amplifier, pre-amplifier components as compared to cable design?
I'm truly curious about it.

Of course it's all about balance and synergy.....hard to make any absolute statements. But I would say for most audio systems cables/power conditioning should get around 15-25% of total system budget, power conditioning especially keeps changing/improving every year. This is very important area if you want to really get great clean natural sound, there are so many more choices here today than 5 yrs ago thus allowing greater impact on improving sound quality.

Nov 23, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Is that a rhetorical question or are you serious?
k1000smile.gif

Many people choose to dogmatically believe the the line of thinking in that linked article, blah blah blah (all cables sound the same) ......great for them, get all your audio gear/cables at Radio Shack or Best Buy and be happy.

I will do my own listening in my own system and make my own evaluations.

I'm serious about being unsure. Sometimes I hear the difference, sometimes I'm not sure. And the article is refering to well made cables, not poorly designed, cheap ones which would include radioshack/best buy.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 19
eyeteeth said:
QUOTE]

Nope,
Those guys are full of it.
Do you honestly believe that these cable companies have been able to fool millions of people for years and years by selling a product that does nothing different than zip cord?
I think not.

It's easy enough to prove it to yourself. BORROW a set of cables and try it. If you borrow you have no lost money to grieve over and nothing to expect to justify your purchase. If you notice the difference, great. If you don't, you just saved your self some money.

I'll bet you will however.
icon10.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I'm serious about being unsure. Sometimes I hear the difference, sometimes I'm not sure. And the article is refering to well made cables, not poorly designed, cheap ones which would include radioshack/best buy.

There are of course diminishing returns and common sense, I would never spend more than @$300-400 for pair of ICs (used or new) for instance, since in my experience there are excellent cables in this price range that outperform many $1,000+ plus models and the extra money is better spent upgrading audio gear, must keep system balance and common sense. If you have 30K+ system and money no object, then perhaps.
tongue.gif

So in that regard the article makes some good points about outrageously priced cables that many times no better than $200-300 models, paying for name brand etc. The theme of article however seems to be to try and scientifically prove that cables are mostly similar, and not trust/believe individual empirical testing in one's own system.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Have you realized how nearly impossible it is to find a used pair of Cardas Golden Reference Power or Golden Reference RCA interconnects on Audiogon or Videogon? They don't come up very often. That says something. It says a lot.

I count 18 Golden Reference products on Audiogon at this moment. I would'nt say that is impossible. But it does say something about turnover of Cardas cables.

I do, however, agree strongly that it is best to stay with one cable manufacturer since many times their products are synergistic with each other.

Best Regards,
Michael

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Of course it's all about balance and synergy.....hard to make any absolute statements. But I would say for most audio systems cables/power conditioning should get around 15-25% of total system budget, power conditioning especially keeps changing/improving every year. This is very important area if you want to really get great clean natural sound, there are so many more choices here today than 5 yrs ago thus allowing greater impact on improving sound quality.

DarkAngel:

You are correct, SIR!
icon10.gif

Power Conditioners, especially balanced power technologies, are fundamental to improving the entire AV rig performance because the quality of electricity that flows through it is the lowest common denominator to determining soundstage, PRAT, noise floor, imaging, and just about everything.

To that end, the MONSTER HTS series of power filtration products are an excellent value according to The Absolute Sound in their Winter 2004 edition (which you can pick up at your local Barnes & Noble bookstores). I might pick one up sometime next year for my modest Yamaha YHT-23 Home Theater in a Box system.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back