Questions about Acer laptops
Jun 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
I apologize for the cross-post but I don't know how active the other forum is and I'm trying to sort this quickly. Thanks for the indulgence.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498909/anyone-know-about-these-acer-laptops#post_6734090

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had two Acers, a Travelmate 2300 and an Aspire 3280. Both have functioned well. I picked the Acers because they seemed to be the most solidly built of the low end laptops at the time. My daughter inherited and was using the Travelmate until she broke the power adapter socket. I use the Aspire as my in-car computer, mainly running M$ Streets and Trips GPS. I recently added a Linksys PC card wireless N adapter, and that increased my reception about 3X.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Acer laptops are solid? well maybe some will last around 2-3yrs for me most common problems for them is heating and keyboard malfunction 

solid for me is is ibm or toshiba.

for the the poster well like i said heating is a main factor on acer as it goes on age
regarding with your question since you're only using it for mainly general purposes browsing/movies etc etc just buy the cheaper one 
since you're only planning to use it for those purposes, but if you got the money why bother with bottledneck systems buy an i3 or i5 acers and also you will be using linux then better performance for the laptop 

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Acers are decent, but not great. In my experience, the best laptops being manufactured today are made by lenovo. The HP business laptops come in second. Most consumer laptops are only designed to last two years or so, lenovos last much longer.

As a rule of thumb, when purchasing laptops get the laptops that look ugly. The typical plain black, ugly laptop tends to be a business machine and is built to take some more abuse. The really pretty ones, with nice designs and textured cases are the consumer models, and are built to a lower standard.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Acers are decent, but not great. In my experience, the best laptops being manufactured today are made by lenovo. The HP business laptops come in second. Most consumer laptops are only designed to last two years or so, lenovos last much longer.

As a rule of thumb, when purchasing laptops get the laptops that look ugly. The typical plain black, ugly laptop tends to be a business machine and is built to take some more abuse. The really pretty ones, with nice designs and textured cases are the consumer models, and are built to a lower standard.

Lenovo IBM are the only laptops that fit the description black bulky black bulky black. i dont find them ugly i find them rather solid yes a macbook has a pretty awesome design really slick gives me erection etc etc.

but if i have to choose over a macbook over a lenovo i'll throw the macbook on a heap of fire and love my lenovo even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back