question
Dec 5, 2003 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zool

500+ Head-Fier
You guys think a total n00b (like myself), with no soldering experience or any thing like that would be able to put together a meta42 mint amp?

Dec 5, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 5
well, probably. I build a somewhat similar amp, without any pcb at my first try. It had no soic parts however, a mint isn't the easiest amp to begin with, I'd rather go for an amp with full size parts.

If you plan to begin in diy, you rather should try a cmoy first. It's less expensive if it fails. It is also a good way to see if you actually like electronic diy. Mint would be step n°2.

On the other hand, if you just want to get a mint cheaper, I'd rather buy an used one. Cost of tools and mistakes are too high.

Dec 5, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
well, probably. I build a somewhat similar amp, without any pcb at my first try. It had no soic parts however, a mint isn't the easiest amp to begin with, I'd rather go for an amp with full size parts.

If you plan to begin in diy, you rather should try a cmoy first. It's less expensive if it fails. It is also a good way to see if you actually like electronic diy. Mint would be step n°2.

On the other hand, if you just want to get a mint cheaper, I'd rather buy an used one. Cost of tools and mistakes are too high.

I'm more interested in the knowledge then the actual amp.. I just brought up the mint cuz I guessed it would be the easiest.

Where would one find instructuins/drawings on how to build a cmoy? Also where would I get the parts for this?

Dec 5, 2003 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
tangent has a great tutorial, with parts list and everything on his website :

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Wow, nice guide.. Very interesting read, thanks.

I'm already getting excited thinking about what tools to get.. I think this will be very fun. One thing I think I have to my advantage is that I'm pretty good with my hands already... My occupation is microscopic assembling. I get to do some laser welding at work, but no soldering is required. It doesn't seem to be that hard though
smily_headphones1.gif

Any DIY'ers here from Sweden? I could really use a Swedish guide to this as well.. Or at least tips on parts and where to get them here in Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back