Question Which cans CAN'T play nice with the Supermicro & Supermini?
Jun 30, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 7
A Supermicro is powered by 1x AAA battery, Supermini is powered by 2x AAA, and Supermacro is powered by 4x AAA batteries. THAT is a primary difference between them re YOUR criteria ..............and you have to consider the difficulty of driving some of the phones you mentioned. There is quite a disparity in that list. NO portable amp is even adequate for dt990/600! I use a Corda Prehead MkII for mine and would like even more power for them. ............and if you go by ohm ratings of phones - you would have only half of the picture. You are forgetting their sensitivity! I even saw a post this AM where a poster actually recommended using k701 without an amp - that is an insane recommendation. They are a phone that needs a good deal of additonal powering. ..................or another approach to your basic question (and an issue that has spurred several threads here) - people buy dt770 or Darths because they want and luv the exceptional bass production......then go out and by cheapo amps, then wonder what they describe as rattle exists at times. Well, it is because when that deep bass occurs in tracks - the amp they bought is not up to the task. It is not the fault of the phones. The most-offered advice is the typical cure for Grado - the loose hair. I have never heard one person report back that it ever worked - no hairs get into Beyers. But, they hope. I easily reproduce the effect by under-amping and playing such passages.

edited for typos.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Yup, I was suffering from typo-mania this morning. It so happens I'm on my 2nd Supermini, and also have a Supermacro LE.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 7
With a Supermini-

The Denon D2000 or D5000 will be a very fine choice, particularly since you will usually, now, have tubey opamps in the amp.(since Denon are better with tubes).

Darths will be somewhat marginal - since it is those very low passages that the Darths can produce are the ones that require, relatively, a lot of juice. So, that means if you play that sort of music - you can have problems - it not you will be very happy. I can also state the Supermacro versions have no problem at all...........maybe you should consider the upcoming Reference version - that one will handle both readily (and also dt880/600Ω just fine - as I've said, it's those real deep passages that require the juice as do speaker setups). ...........another factor - relative size of components in package. To me, when carrying a Nano - nothing is better than Supermini. But, with iModded 4th gen. Ipod - my choice is either Supermacro LE or the Xin Reference. These choices are most consonent with the size of the DAP (I carry in shirt pocket - a lot). But, when you're talking about portable use AND a headphone (instead of IEM,) I don't use a full-sized headphone. To me, in that instance - headphone choice becomes either Senn. HD25-1 modded or HME25 modded.............o.k., I included more than you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back