Question Some help needed re: old capacitors...
Dec 14, 2006 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
G'day all,

Once again I have some mystery caps I wish to identify!
smily_headphones1.gif

These 2 capacitors come from a 30 year old B&K 747 tube tester, and I am replacing them with newer examples. However, I wish to maintain their 'type' - i.e. electrolytics replace electrolytics, plastic films replace plastic films, etc - so identifying their type correctly is of paramount importance to me.

mystery_caps.jpg

LEFT: marked 0.047uF on schematic, I think it's a polyester.

RIGHT: marked 0.01uF on schematic, I think it's a ceramic disc.

Also, are both caps P or NP? It is not clear from the schematic - I think that they're NP though.
frown.gif

Anyone?
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 3
The one on the left could be polyester. Why don't you cut it open and find out? You should be able to clip it and see what's in there. Not really critical to match the materials, though. I'd just put a nice Orange Drop in there, preferably one rated 600v or better.

The other is a ceramic disc. It's probably still good, ceramics last forever.

Both are non-polarized.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one on the left could be polyester. Why don't you cut it open and find out? You should be able to clip it and see what's in there. Not really critical to match the materials, though. I'd just put a nice Orange Drop in there, preferably one rated 600v or better.

The other is a ceramic disc. It's probably still good, ceramics last forever.

Both are non-polarized.

Thanks for that Erik.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I'm looking at a selection of ceramic capacitors now - what does 'high K mean? As in 'Capacitor, disc ceramic, cement coated, low voltage, high K, 0.01uF'? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back