Question regarding PPA power
Mar 12, 2008 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sycraft

100+ Head-Fier
So I've decided it is finally time to finish up my PPA, get rid of the wires hanging out of it, and that means of course stop using my bench supply and get a dedicated power supply. So I was looking at the Elpac that Tangent recommends on his site. Only thing I don't like is that it is a wall wart, and a rather large one, which makes it hard to plug in for my setup. I much prefer line lumps.

Well, Elpac makes those to. They've got a number like this one that would do nicely. However, they are switching power supplies, rather than linear.

Is there any reason this wouldn't be good to use with the PPA as a power supply? Provided their specs are accurate they are still pretty low noise (1% ripple as opposed to 0.5% for the linear one). Is there something I'm missing as to why a switching supply would be a bad choice?

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Switching power supplies have a lot of high-frequency noise.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Ok but does that matter? Seems the switching frequency is generally around 80kHz, which I'm going to guess I probably have no hope of hearing. Also, is it the kind of thing that can make it through all the PPA's power regulation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back