Question regarding earphone burn in time
Apr 20, 2011 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

scubash21

New Head-Fier
[size=small] [/size][size=small]I have a question that I would like to ask, I have been using Etymotic ER6i for the past two years every day. I have even changed the cable to the standard iPhone white cable to be able to use the remote functions. The sound quality is good, but I thought that I would like to try the mc3 with the dynamic drivers to see if there is a difference. I ordered the mc3 set and it just arrived, I plugged them into my iPhone and listened to the same piece of Classical music and compared the ER6i and the mc3. I would have to say is that on my first impression the ER6i sounds better. Is this because I need to have a burn in period with the mc3? Please let me know, for how long I should consider burning these in for, before conducting a comparison test. [/size]

[size=small]Thanks[/size]

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Different phones need different burn in time.

I was a "burn in" skeptic till I bought the AKG 701's.  I tried them brand new, they were OK but then I read that some listeners said they needed 200 hrs burn-in.  Like I said, I was a skeptic but I thought, OK, I'll give it a try.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that these 'phones DO improve with burn-in. The mid-bass got better as the K701's burned in.  I suppose the headphone dynamic element's "suspension" needed to be "worked" a bit in order to loosen up.

Other headphones I own, like Sennheiser HD800, didn't seem to change much as they burn in.

SO:
  1. Not all headphones change or improve with "burn in," but some change pretty drastically as they get broken in.
  2. The amount of time needed for breaking in varies, I would assume.  Starting with 200 hours is perhaps a safe bet, a good place to start.  If 200 hours doesn't do it, try 500.  If they still need more, try 1000.
  3. For burn-in I just play the headphones on a repeating track, and play them pretty loud- a little louder than I would actually care to listen at.  I usually put the headphones in a drawer or under some pillows while breaking in, so I don't hear them playing off in the distance when I am at home....
  4. There are special tracks and so on that people have suggested for use in burn-in.  I figure just some music, with a good bit of bass in it, should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back