Question on the membrane
Nov 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 13
It can be a number of things... some variety of molded cellulosic plastic are most common. Each manufacturer has their own version - some including kevlar, titanium, carbon fiber, etc... 

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 13
They also use mylar, another material found on the Ultrasone Edition 8.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes, I forgot about the polyesters and their variants. 

Really, you are looking for things that have controllable and high stiffness/thickness ratios as well as relatively light weight. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
It can be a number of things... some variety of molded cellulosic plastic are most common. Each manufacturer has their own version - some including kevlar, titanium, carbon fiber, etc... 

As i know kevlar is something like that

My interest here is limited to type of membranes in the first post. I heard it's BoPET also know as Mylar.

I need to replace the membrane on the headphones. I know that much easier to buy new, but where I am now only building materials are sold.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
As i know kevlar is something like that

My interest here is limited to type of membranes in the first post. I heard it's BoPET also know as Mylar.

I need to replace the membrane on the headphones. I know that much easier to buy new, but where I am now only building materials are sold.

Yes, Mylar was addressed. Cellulosic plastics can be similar to BoPET and polyester variants. 

It's the specific ratio of stiffness, and the moulded shape (which controls local stiffness) that is important. You can't just buy a piece of mylar and glue it on...

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 13
About Mylar.
The question now is to buy the material required thickness and size.
As far as I know, its thickness should be about 5 microns or less.

Quote:
It's the specific ratio of stiffness, and the moulded shape (which controls local stiffness) that is important. You can't just buy a piece of mylar and glue it on...

I'm sorry, I have slow internet.
It's like a calculating with the expectation of the magnet and the coil?

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
what headphones use carbonfiber and or kevlar for there driver membrane?

I've only seen Kevlar reinforced cables on headphones to the moment. Im curious too. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Tell me a capsule with 5 micron and less membrane. Electrostats, but no dynamics. Dynamic.Microphones capsules using about 10 micron. 
The capsule is used for dampening and perform only well with the specific membrane.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Older dynamic driver diaphragms used to be made out of paper. I'm not quite sure why it's considered a bad thing these days.

Electrostatic driver diaphragms are almost certainly boPET/Mylar, with thicknesses ranging from 2.5 to 0.5 microns, most in the 1.5 or 1.35 micron range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back