Question on older amp: Sony TA-N330ES Ohm load Questions
May 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

neil.belt

New Head-Fier
I just picked this amp up to run additional speakers and I have a question about the output if anybody might be able to help. 
I would like to run one side A with full range speakers, and the other B as a bridged mono connection for a subwoofer.  I would run A speakers at 8 ohms and the subwoffer at 8 ohms as well (at least I think it would be 8 ohms, it is a car speaker with two 4 ohm voice coils that I would run in series if that gives an 8 ohm load)  The main thing that I don't know is if I could run two speakers in stereo mode while running the Sub in mono.  I might just have to get two subwoofers and run them in stereo, or just stick with 4 full range speakers.  The amp shows me these set up modes:

Speakers A, B:  4-16 ohms
Speakers A & B; 8-16 ohms
Speakers A, B Mono:  8-16 ohms
Speakers A & B Mono:  16 ohms

I also don't know if it is possible to get a low pass for the sub at speaker level.  This amp only has one set of inputs so I can't low pass it before the amp. 

Here are the specs from another chat a few years ago.  This is an early to mid 90's amp but I believe that it is still good quality even by today's standards...  Plus it was only $125 at a yard sale.

On 2006-08-22 08:33, jehill wrote: Continuous RMS power output (both channels driven, 20Hz - 20 kHz):
                     Model except        Model for
Condition         for North              North Europe
                     Europe
8 ohms monaural        300W                   ---
            THD 0.05%
12 ohms monaural        ---                 200W
            THD 0.05%

Read more: http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25753&forum=51#ixzz0pLTgYVr1
 ​
 ​
So​

May 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Oh, no :frowning2:  I just found out that the amp is not working.  I am trying to get ahold of the seller, but it might not be possible.  I looked over all of the circuits and found that the piece that is burnt out is a Sanken Transistor  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/SANKEN-SANKEN-/2SC2921   The protect light is lit up on the amp and nothing is working so I am hoping that this is the only burnt out part.  All of the caps look perfect and there is nothing else on any of the boards that I can see any damage to.  If anybody here knows if this part would fail by itself please let me know, I just don't want to replace it and find out that it is common for many other parts to fry at the same time.

Bad luck for me, but hopefully I can either get it up and running or get a refund.

Thanks, Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back