Question on er4s from a noobie
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

twinraven

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of er4s from a head-fier. The earphones was great, all the clarity that i wanted, but i cant help noting a hissing sound whenever a song/ music hit certain notes. It sounds like "ssssss". It only appear in some songs, and can be annoying at times. Sorry, but don't really how to describe it well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I'm using a Cowon s9, without amp. 

Sorry if my question is vague, i'm still very new to all these musical technical stuff. >..<

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 6
what you are hearing is sibilance, some phones are more prone to displaying sibilance than others, in my experience, sibilance usually occurs more often with phones that are emphasized in the treble region than not. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Sibillance is also a problem with neutral phones as poorly mastered recordings like most pop music will have extreme hiss as the audio technicians like to buff the treble region quite a bit.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, one way of 'doing something about it' is to stuff some foam into the sound tube or the ER4S, but this might not be ideal for those who are more inclined tot he treble regions as it usually makes the sound warmer.

Too much foam will degrade the quality of the sound as well as they act as a form of an obstacle that the sound coming from the drivers have to contend with =O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back